NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm asking advice from you experts again here at NB.org. :)

Last week, my 2002 NB was fixed at dealer - the rusty automatic transmission pan had to be replaced along with the fluid and gasket, etc. Car only has 65000 km and still going very good.

Since that repair all is fine, except when I drive let's say at 110 km/h on a long ascending slope, I can detect a slight burnt smell in the car. It's not super obvious nor severe, of course no smoke or anything like that, but still kind of strange as it never happened before that repair. :confused:

I suppose VW techs at a dealership know their stuff better than in garages not used to our cars, hence why I chose them for the repair.

Is it possible the guy didn't add enough fluid ? Or is it normal that new AT fluid smells a bit for a while at high RPM ? :confused:

Or asked differently : What would be the symptoms if the AT is missing some fluid ? Wouldn't this also affect the gear changes/shifting dramatically ?

As always, thanks a lot in advance for your expertise and help.

Nounours

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello,

I'm asking advice from you experts again here at NB.org. :)

Last week, my 2002 NB was fixed at dealer - the rusty automatic transmission pan had to be replaced along with the fluid and gasket, etc. Car only has 65000 km and still going very good.

Since that repair all is fine, except when I drive let's say at 110 km/h on a long ascending slope, I can detect a slight burnt smell in the car. It's not super obvious nor severe, of course no smoke or anything like that, but still kind of strange as it never happened before that repair. :confused:

I suppose VW techs at a dealership know their stuff better than in garages not used to our cars, hence why I chose them for the repair.

Is it possible the guy didn't add enough fluid ? Or is it normal that new AT fluid smells a bit for a while at high RPM ? :confused:

Or asked differently : What would be the symptoms if the AT is missing some fluid ? Wouldn't this also affect the gear changes/shifting dramatically ?

As always, thanks a lot in advance for your expertise and help.

Nounours
WOW, your 2002 only has 40389 Miles on the odometer. My 2000 has over 4 times as much on the clock ;) New transmission fluid shouldn't smell. Unless it is leaking onto something very HOT and then burning off. I would check for leaks underneath. Perhaps they didn't seal the transmission pan properly or the gasket slipped during the torque down procedure. Even VW mechanics are only human and can and will make mistakes. It could just be a small leak and perhaps only happenes when the car is moving and is under pressure. Either way it is best to have it checked because if it is leaking and the fluid level drops too low you will have a big mess on your hands.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks IndyTom for your advice. :)

It could indeed be just a small leak or the VW guy dropped some oil in the engine compartment while refilling the transmission.

I'll definitely check this out.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks IndyTom for your advice. :)

It could indeed be just a small leak or the VW guy dropped some oil in the engine compartment while refilling the transmission.

I'll definitely check this out.
Yes, it is possible that they spilled a little tranny fluid onto the engine, however that would burn off after the first time that you would drive the vehicle for a little while. You should not be able to smell it for several days.
Did they flush the transmission or just drained the transmission and replaced the filter and refilled it? With a flush machine there wouldn't be any fluid spilled since the machine pushes out the old fluid while replacing it with the new fluid. No need to fill it from the top.

Good Luck to you and Happy Holidays :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts