NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Got Snow???
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our Beetle Sport about a month ago. It started doing a weird slight shudder now when lightly accelerating in any gear. The clutch was replaced at 21k. The Sport has 34k on it now. The coil packs were replaced as well according to the service records. Any ideas on what might cause this weird "shudder" when accelerating? No engine lights have come on and the motor seems to run smooth and gets great mileage. Just a really annoying shudder. Help... :confused:

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
What happens if you shift at a higher RPM? Do you get the same shudder?
Will it happen when the motor is more under load than lightly loaded?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Shuddering clutch or drive line..

Shuddering while accelerating and engaging the clutch usually means that the clutch disc has been worn to excess or perhaps warped from excess slippage from the previous owners engagement of the clutch under very high power at very high RPMs. This practice can cause the surfaces of the clutch disc and the flywheel to engage in an uneven manner and creat a shuddering feel.
One other thing to check are the engine and tranny mounts. They maybe loose or broken allowing too much slack in the drive line...
I really think you are looking at a new clutch assembly and flywheel to fix this... Good Luck, JK

·
Got Snow???
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, the shudder feeling is after I've engaged the clutch and am driving down the road. It's as though it's almost a slight miss where you should be going down the road but occasionally barely slows down for a split second. There's no wind around when I have experienced this. I have felt it on a level road and today it didn't do it at all for the entire commute.:confused: The previous owner did have the clutch replaced under warranty and it the car felt really tight and shifted well when I purchased it. We have a horribly steep driveway and then the street. I have to baby the car out of the driveway as to not hit bottom, but to get back up the driveway, there's the issue that I may have caused some sort of clutch problem. I have to slowly get off the street and into the driveway and three or four times, the car has jumped violently and stalled as I haven't gone fast enough up my driveway and it died in first gear. I'm wondering, can you slip this clutch a couple times in first gear going real slow and still do damage to it??? Thanks

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Yep, clutch slip is clutch slip; even in first gear.

Tough problem, and maybe this is completely uncalled for... but... ever thought of mountnig an electric R/C winch in the garage? Maybe I'm goin' too "engineer" on this. :p But if you're in neutral there's no clutch wear. (and you could still run the motor to have full braking capability)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
did they replace the or turn the flywheel when they put in the new clutch? or did they just put in the new clutch? dealers are always looking for the cheap out and may have just put in the clutch and left the worn and damaged flywheel in place, do you have any kind of warranty?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts