VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago my wife was driving our 2000 1.8 turbo new beetle and she got to were she was going stopped and tried to start it back up it was real slow starting. When you turn the key it the starter turns over and it sounds like it will start and if you hold it for about 30 seconds or so it finally starts. Then you get it to a light or a stop it trys to die on you. Then you drive for a while and it goes back to being fine.

I put some fuel injector cleaner in when i filled up. My thinking was fresh fuel and some injector cleaner can't hurt.

My next step will be to clean the throttle body and change the fuel filter and some new plugs. I am going to change the oil and oil filter anyway so why not then.

Do any of these sound like they might help? I am hoping the fuel filter and not the fuel pump.

I don't understand why it eventually starts if you hold the starter long enough. It is almost like building up pressure or something.

If anybody has had this problem or may have a solution that may help I would greatly appreciate it.

Brian

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Sounds similar to what I was experiencing; when my fuel pump was dying, the fuel pressure is low (pressure bleeds off), you cycle the key and that usually helps to get the pressure up, enough to start. Then, it would usually would start after that but it was progressively, getting worse. Eventually, it won't start at all; when the fuel pump, totally fails. I would test the fuel pressure and see if it is within spec. and go from there. Test the pressure; fuel regulator and you might replace the fuel filter, to see if is restricting the line. My gut feeling; is that your fuel pump is toast; rent a tester from the auto parts store or buy a cheap one, from a place like harbor freight. (google online; for a 20 % off coupon)

Fuel Injection Pump Tester
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#92699

Check fuel pump pressure on most systems with this fuel injection pump tester

Only: $29.99 Sale: $19.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

Check out testing procedures and repair info here:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Questions??

Well i changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the sparks plug and it ran fine for a little bit then it started rrunning rough and almost sounded like it was missing in one of more of the cylinders. I am not sure if it is something new or not. If anyone has any ideas please help

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Please scan the car for codes; did you test the fuel pressure and check the fuel pressure regulator for correct operation? You need to diagnose the problem with some diagnostic equipment; get some hard cold facts as to what is going on, just throwing new parts at it, will not always fix the problem!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts