NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't believe how much I've spent on G12 in the past while. Did a gauge install in the summer, and replaced it then. Then a few weeks ago, my water pump went (with only 70 000 Kilometres). Replaced coolant again. Then about a week later noticed coolant leaking from coolant flange (heart valve). Replaced it and coolant again, but this time I figured I'd do the thermostat as well before it fails and save myself buying more G12 down the road.

Now here's the funny part - my thermostat appeared to be working - the car never overheated or ran stone cold, but I did notice last winter that it ran between 170 and 180 using the VAG-COM - in the summer it would run 190-200 on the highway and higher in city traffic. This past week it was 7 degrees celsius out a couple of mornings and the car was around 170 on the highway. With the new thermostat, the car runs 200 on the highway with the roughly the same ambient temp. Maybe this explains the white goo I found inside the oil filler cap last winter...the oil never really got hot enough to burn off the moisture - will see how it goes this winter.

But anyway, it's an easy thing to change out (10mm socket, extension, universal joint), and will only cost you some G12 (the thermostat was $50 at the dealer though in Canadian dollars). I'd suggest that if your car is running in the 170 to 180 range, you might have a slow acting thermostat....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts