NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Should postbits show reduced info after the first post on a page?

• Yes, I like the reduced info on additional posts.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No, I prefer to see full info on every post.

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on a suggestion of a member, I have implemented a modification to the layout in which your "postbit" (that's the userinfo that appears above each of your posts) is dramatically reduced after your first post on a particular page. The first time you post on a page, you have full info. The second (and third, and so on) time, I only show your username and reputation.

I'm not sure I like this. It does reduce vertical space some, but I'm not sure the slight vertical space saving is worth the loss of information. So, I'm polling you guys. What do you think? Do you like it this way?

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
my99vdub said:
I don't know, I'd prefer to keep all the info - as you say it's a slight space saver but I don't think it's worth the info loss either.
after seeing it in action...

I change my vote to no, put it back.

I think it also broke the quick reply feature. it wont let me type in the box even tho it opens itup when I click the quick reply button on a shortened post.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eeyore said:
after seeing it in action...

I change my vote to no, put it back.

I think it also broke the quick reply feature. it wont let me type in the box even tho it opens itup when I click the quick reply button on a shortened post.
Quick reply is still working fine for me. I don't THINK anything I did with the postbit could have affected quick reply...

Putting it back is easy enough, but I think I'll let it ride for a day or so and get some more opinions to see where the community stands on this one.

Thanks for your input. :)

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
I like it better with all the info. I say it should go back. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I agree. W/the reduced postbits it removes that info from 'Threaded view' also. And there's no reason to reduce them on that view, where you only see 1 post at a time anyway.

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
I only need that info on the first post. IMHO, it is very distracting and annoying one some other forums when it's thre on every post.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys...

I've turned this into a non-issue by making it a user-selectable option. If you like the reduced into, go to Edit Options and set the "Show full user info only once per page" to "Yes". :D

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Thank you..

now, can you change it to have the user info only on the left like the old forums?

I think what makes this interface look so klunky is the BIG gaps between posts for the user info..

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eeyore said:
Thank you..

now, can you change it to have the user info only on the left like the old forums?

I think what makes this interface look so klunky is the BIG gaps between posts for the user info..
Not easily. The user-info-on-top is the new vBulletin 3 way. I'm sure I could hack on the templates long enough to get it back on the left, but it wouldn't be easy.

And I'm also not sure I'd want to. To you this might look klunky, but I find it much more efficient. Our 800x600 users only have about 550px wide of space for a post. If 150px of that is used up with user info, then they only have about 450px left. Almost every image of our cars attached in these forums are bigger than 450px -- which means they can't see the whole image.

The problem with user info on the left is that when someone makes a long post -- say it's 40 lines long -- the user info column takes up horizontal space for 40 lines, even though there's only say, five lines of user info. It's very wasteful, whereas this is not. The bottom line is that most users are more than willing to scroll DOWN the page, but most are NOT very accepting of horizontal scrolling. The nature of the web is to have pages that are longer than your browser window -- but not WIDER than your browser window.

If you don't like the gaps, why don't you just turn off avatars, usertitles, etc in your preferences? This would save a ton of vertical space.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
noR said:
EXCELLENT. Thanks Jeff for giving us BOTH options. :)
No problem. Have to admit, I was proud of this one. Didn't think it was possible. ;)

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
The old vertical display is contrled in vb in the option "old legacy style dysplay option" but ithink thi is better because you can spost wider pics and text is easier to read on ;arge monitors.

3 sugestions:

can you change that the page breaks after 15 or 20 posts each? because 10 post per page is IMHO too few and I keep jumping from page to page.

There will be for sure a hack for this version of VB (that involves only hacking templates and no database etc) that lets you put a Flag of the member nationality, that would be cool..!

And also another hack that would be SUPER usefull would be smilies in the quick reply, (dont know if the hack is availiable yet).

just My .02

BTW the colors are fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pulgamovil said:
can you change that the page breaks after 15 or 20 posts each? because 10 post per page is IMHO too few and I keep jumping from page to page.
I tend to agree with this. I think upping it would be a good idea.

I am paying attention to the hacks that are available for vB 3.5. I'm trying to stick to template-only mods as much as possible (I have so far). I didn't think i'd figure out how to make a user option for this postbit thing w/o hacking more than templates, but I did. The vB3 template conditionals really help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts