NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any other New Beetle owners notice the inside of their Beetle Bug smells like a box of Crayons?

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Classic issue; the sound deadening material, under the carpet is the source of the smell. Many have torn out the carpet and removed the sound deadening material, replacing it with new, like Dynamat and the problem smells goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I really thought I was loosing it... thank you! I am really gonna sound like I know my stuff next time I get a comment like “what’s that smell? Or mom it smells like crayons in here! Lol....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup it sure does. Just like Billymade indicated above it is the sound deadening material. I had my car in for some upholstery work and asked them to remove the carpet and the material and replace it. He seemed surprised that I would request that. But he's a businessman so he of course agreed to do it. He replaced it with a new sound deadening material and sure enough -- smell is gone. He even put the material in a bag for disposal and out of curiosity he smelled it the next day and confirmed that it was indeed that material.

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
I hate that smell...I'm ordering a new carpet kit and be rid of the stink. For now I'm using a lot of lavender to cover it up.

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
Just so your clear; it is the sound deadening material not necessarily the carpet itself, that is the source of the smell.
Yep...I am getting a sound deadening kit as well. I did try the old baking soda open box trick and that seems to work very well eliminated the stink.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I laughed when I first read this thread. Then SO brought home Elvira last week. First thing I noticed was she had about 5 different air fresheners, 3 hanging from the mirror, 1 extra strength deal clipped to the visor, and another small one clipped to the vent. Opened the door and what did I smell first? Yep, crayons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Musta’ circumvented that issue when I first tried to wash my carpets in the car...bad YouTube advise! Was switching out old ratty cloth seats for sweet a** black leather and I realized the carpet was never gonna dry (flooded/scrub/vacuum FAIL!) I took the carpet out and liner and when sucking out the remaining water the ‘sound deadening mat’ 20+ yrs old, came out in pieces. I used roofers peel n’stick vapor barrier for deadening. Repaired my drivers-side carpet pad and re-installed the carpet once dried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts