VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you all pass smog with a catless downpipe? I don’t have a check engine light, would I be able to pass if they don’t do a visual inspection?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,505 Posts
What state do you live in?

·
Registered
16,433 Posts
I can only assume, you would have a instant inspection, emissions fail and possible fines; as you have modified the emissions control systems, that were/are US Federally mandated on the car, when the car was produced. Since you do not have a catalytic converter; there is no way, the car, has the ability to reduce emissions quality out of the exhaust system, you have raw exhaust coming out now. I wouldn't take a car for inspection or testing; that had a modified or deleted emissions control systems (in your case a catalytic converter), as you are currently not in compliance with the law, much less, try testing for emissions quality of your car.

Federal law trumps state laws and you are essentially opening yourself up for being fined; I can only assume, to pass; you would need the emissions controls, fully installed and working correctly, emissions quality, to whatever specification, your state requires.

Here is a example, of info; referenced in Texas and associated fines, for tampering with the emission control systems:

I don't know, how many people; actually, get prosecuted for these types of violations but the fines, are pretty high. While decatting and deletes of exhaust systems; seem to be popular, it wouldn't seem to make sense, if you need to pass emissions testing and inspections, every year.

·
Registered
16,433 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,505 Posts
If they for sure don't do a visual inspection you should be ok. But I know here in NC, its a crapshoot on if they do visuals or not. I had a high flow cat and had 0 issues here in NC (I was tuned for it) but it was still a cat so something was there. I don't know if I'd risk catless, but that's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts