1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
That's the exact one I got from eBay... I don't remember how much it was but it was well worth it! I love that light! Doesn't bolt up exact but it's damn close and takes no modifications. Get it and you won't be sorry!

Here's some pics of mine but please disregard my crappy vinyl work:

Wide Shot:

Close up (off):

Close up (on):

It looks much better at night. If I remember I'll take a picture of it tonight :)

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pics. After getting my new tail lights that are not as visible as the oem ones I decided I need to get my 3rd brake light functioning and being a black car a smoked led light would look sweet :)

·
107 Posts
[Thread Jack]

How do you like those tail lights? I was considering those for the price... But I'm leaning towards the black housing LED ones so they match my third brake light...

[/Thread Jack]

You're right... You definitely need the third brake light done to complete that look! Looks great already with the tail lights

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shopped around online and looked at a bunch of different ones but a lot of them just look too space shipish if that makes sense. Just too over the top to the point they look odd on a beetle to me.

I went with these for the price and they match the look of the halo headlights I plan to get for the front next payday.

I haven't even driven the car since putting them in or seen them at night but they went in easy enough. It uses your old brake bulb and bulb housing but comes with the blinker bulb and housing since this blinker is clear reflector with a yellow bulb vs the OEM clear blinker with yellow reflector.

·
107 Posts
I've been looking at the Halo Headlights for awhile now but I'm not going to do it until I have the time to put a Euro Light Switch in and re-wire the halos to be for Daylight use cuz otherwise I don't know if you would ever see the Halo's with the headlights on

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking at the Halo Headlights for awhile now but I'm not going to do it until I have the time to put a Euro Light Switch in and re-wire the halos to be for Daylight use cuz otherwise I don't know if you would ever see the Halo's with the headlights on
Funny you mention that as my euro switch came in this week! I ordered it just because I was getting the halos soon and wanted the halos and leds to run on the parking lights :) I got the switch in, put some tape over the 'B' pin to disable daytime lights, and it slid in easy in about ten seconds.

This is where I got mine from. It's OEM and not the cheap Chinese stuff that breaks or shorts out after a month:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=130586690351

·
107 Posts
Any idea where to start with the re-wire though? That's what is holding me up... You know, besides the money part LOL

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The switch rotates to the right but also pulls outward to activate secondary lights.

One pull out is fog lights and two pulls out is a unused setting meant for rear fogs in europe. US cars are not wired for rear fogs so two pulls does nothing but turn on the indicator but nothing happens.

The daytime lights circuit runs through the same low beam wiring to the bulb so I don't believe that would be easy to accomplish to separate the halos and low beams with daytime running lights. Also, I don't trust those halos to run constantly for very long before burning out.

If anything I would wire them to the parking lights or have them dedicated to the second pull of the switch (the rear fog setting). That way one pull turns on front fogs and has a indicator reflecting that lighting up on the switch and two pulls activates the halos also with a indicator lighting up. That way at night when they would just be washed out by the low beams you can just leave them off increasing their life span.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
24 hours after getting my tail lights installed I had condensation in them. I removed them and used hi temp ultra black silicone to seal the seams better and reinstalled them then I looked at them two hours later and there are tiny cracks on the inside of the lenses all over the place I guess due to heat.

Pretty irritating episode for me. The cracks may be from sealing it so good it cannot breathe, maybe not, as the cracks are exactly where the condensation was. Basically I either deal with condensation from morning dew or tiny scratch cracks from heat....or both.

Debating what to do at this point. Guess I could return them but my guess is they will not take them back due to me siliconing the seams and any other possible opening.

*sigh*

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DashZ Racing refunded my money today on the smoked 3rd brake light :(

Their only comment on the refund was 'bo' so I guess its back ordered until the apocalypse.

Any other sites selling the smoked 3rd brake light for around $75 shipped?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts