NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has been smelling of burning oil more so than before, today after drive for 15 minutes on the highway, about 6 minutes were 90mph (gotta get to class) my engine was smoking. The hood cover is a bit ripped and I don't know if the smoke is that burning or more oil burning. Oil IS a bit over filled (about half a centimeter over the good area). Coolant fluids are good.

Does the underhood engine cover burn? Should I take it off? I plan to also get an oil change tomorrow but I'm still kinda worried...

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Valve cover gaskets and the oil cooler seal; are common areas that leak oil. You need to inspect the engine for the source of the leak or consider, getting a oil leak dye kit.

https://www.google.com/#q=oil+leak+dye+kit

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
oil burning

Remove one or two of your coil packs(the ones that connect to the spark plugs) and if there's oil in the well or on the spark plug than your valve cover gasket needs replacing asap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, just saw these! I will do that (I haven't had recent smoking problems but I just posted about my car not starting after a jiffy lube visit)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
jiffy

Awesome, just saw these! I will do that (I haven't had recent smoking problems but I just posted about my car not starting after a jiffy lube visit)
Bad mistake, never take your car anywhere near jiffy lube they probably just over fill with oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valve Cover Gasket Replaced- problem solved!

It turns out so far that after changing the valve cover gasket the engine has not smoked since :) Been driving now for a week.

Anyways I'm posting a new thread because now my engine overheats from a slow leak. I replaced the coolant flange at the same time as the valve cover gasket- I also used a cooling system cleaner to clean out the mess of green tinted coolant coming out (I hate when service places try to "top off" fluids they don't know about...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts