VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine has been smelling of burning oil more so than before, today after drive for 15 minutes on the highway, about 6 minutes were 90mph (gotta get to class) my engine was smoking. The hood cover is a bit ripped and I don't know if the smoke is that burning or more oil burning. Oil IS a bit over filled (about half a centimeter over the good area). Coolant fluids are good.

Does the underhood engine cover burn? Should I take it off? I plan to also get an oil change tomorrow but I'm still kinda worried...

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Valve cover gaskets and the oil cooler seal; are common areas that leak oil. You need to inspect the engine for the source of the leak or consider, getting a oil leak dye kit.

https://www.google.com/#q=oil+leak+dye+kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valve Cover Gasket Replaced- problem solved!

It turns out so far that after changing the valve cover gasket the engine has not smoked since :) Been driving now for a week.

Anyways I'm posting a new thread because now my engine overheats from a slow leak. I replaced the coolant flange at the same time as the valve cover gasket- I also used a cooling system cleaner to clean out the mess of green tinted coolant coming out (I hate when service places try to "top off" fluids they don't know about...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.