NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am going to be buying an 00 2.0 5 speed bug real soon and my parents are still worried about it and the snow. You know Indiana and college in Ohio there is going to be snow and ice. All I want is some stories and or opinions about how the new bugs handle the snow to make my parents feel better about it. Thanks a bunch guys!!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
They drive just as good or better than most other FWD cars. A lot depends on the driver.:D I use all season tires on mine because our winters are mostly mild with only a few very icy days that I have to be on the road. I've been driving my NB for 9 winters and commuting 35 minutes (one way) to work and never had a problem. Of course it helps when the snow plows clear and de-ice the roads. Ice is more of a concern than snow, I can make it through about a foot of snow. Another reason I prefer a manual transmission because downshifting is a better way to slow down on ice.

If you know how to drive on snow and ice in other cars, you'll be fine. The NB sits very low so be careful of ice. I installed a Diesel Geek aluminum skidplate to protect my oil pan.

·
13convertiblebeetle
8 Posts
vw in snow

I have a 2013 front wheel drive bug. With great tires, rides great in snow. No issue. Live in Ohio and had snow a few times this season. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
My first NB out here in Nebraska. I didn't know what to expect so I bought a set of winter snow tires and am pleasantly surprised how well I get around. Handles it without any problems. It gets around as well as our Jeep Grand Cherokee does (except for the ground clearance, LOL)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have heard many stories of beetles handling beautifully in snow. I'm in Florida, so can't speak from personal experience. I know they hug the road better than any other car I've ever driven. They are low though, which is good until you're avoiding road hazards of winter, so a good skid plate is a must.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Like with all cars and trucks. It boils down to having a good set of tires, and having a brain.

I live in one of the areas of upstate NY that gets hammered with lake effect snow. (That's the fun type that goes from clear as day--to a nightmare blizzard driving time in under 1/4 a mile.)

Get used to the car and how it handles. It will do pretty good in the snow and ice. But use common sense. Just because an SUV passes you on the highway doing 65mph? Doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. (In my area? Most of those SUV drivers wind up off the road and into a ditch. The bulk of these "Super Drivers" are as dumb as it gets.)

And of course, be careful in the deeper snow. Yeah these are low to the ground cars---and that front bumper area makes for a real good snow 'plow' in the deeper stuff.

S-

·
ToD 6, Count Down.
473 Posts

Attachments

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
I love how my Bug handles in the snow. It's the most sure footed/handling care I've had. As other already stated, just be careful if the streets haven't been cleaned yet, go slow. I use all weather, Michellin (Original owner) :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the stories and opinions, it put my parents to rest about worrying about snow and a beetle. And I figured that if my 20 year old Buick can make it through the snow a Beetle will do just as good.

·
Herbie's Nurse Dude
26 Posts
I'm an on-call nurse and I travel in Level 2-3 snow storms with no problem. I have studded tires on steel rims. They work great!
Buy a 12v heater blanket. 2.0 beetle take a while to heat up. Remote starters don't work just wastes gas.

Herbie's Nurse Dude

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
the Vws do pretty well in the snow , where abouts in Indiana ? I have friends in Ft wayne area, Indy area and kokomo .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Snow and Beeltes

I've been driving Beetles for 15 years. Two of them. I live in Minnesota, plenty of snow/cold. The problem with them is they are very low and the standard all season tires are two wide for deep snow. I've had deep snow pull off the splash pan (Plastic thing under the front bumper running under the engine) at least a 1/2 dozen times over the years. I don't even bother replacing it any more. The 1st year i tried to get by with the brand new tires that came on the car, all season tires. I got stuck several times. I have since then used Winter tires on steel rims. Blizzacks were the best. I've also used 2 other brands. I've got Winterforse on now and they are very loud on dry pavement. New winter tires are like having 4-wheel drive. I use the car for work, i drive all over the state on matter what the weather.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the Vws do pretty well in the snow , where abouts in Indiana ? I have friends in Ft wayne area, Indy area and kokomo .
I live about 40 minutes south of indy, and I asked this question for one huge reason of these last few weeks in Indiana have SUCKED!
PS. Wednesday I am trading my buick for a 2000 gls 2.0 5 speed that needs a new axle beam and a fender. (I posted pics in a thread in the tech section or 2.0 section on here)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've only driven beetles in the snow, here in nc. The most was about 8-12" in my '05 2.0 about 3 years ago. I lost the plastic pan underneath in that storm. My dad plowed part of our street so i could get in off the main road and through the area where the snow plows had left a mountain of snow. Be smart and cautious, over confidence equals you in a ditch. Remember to turn into a spin, i had to do that with my '06 tdi last year. Like tedybear said, i've seen plenty of suvs and trucks in a ditch pointed the wrong direction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just bought a 98 beetle. I live in Michigan, and I've been driving it in the snow. I have never had so many "OMG I'm gonna die" moments than I've had since I bought this thing. Of course, I did some research on the brand of tires that's on the car (Prometer) and I couldn't find any good comments about them. So, for next winter, I'm going to get some new tires. Maybe some snows, I'm not sure yet. :p

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Just bought a 98 beetle. I live in Michigan, and I've been driving it in the snow. I have never had so many "OMG I'm gonna die" moments than I've had since I bought this thing. Of course, I did some research on the brand of tires that's on the car (Prometer) and I couldn't find any good comments about them. So, for next winter, I'm going to get some new tires. Maybe some snows, I'm not sure yet. :p
Tires make the difference. I used to have all season 16" tires and now have 17" tires that are great on dry roads and rain but are absolute crap in snow, even slush. Yokohama Avid Envigor - do not buy!!! My old tires were all season and could go through unplowed roads with no problem. I've thought about snow tires but then there's the hassle of storage and mounting and re-balancing twice a year. :rolleyes:

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
My experience... All weather Michellin were on my car when I bought him, new (they weren't bad). Next set were Continental Conti-Extreme, decent, but noticed the road noise. Went back to Michellin.

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
Our beets do well in the snow, just drive with caution.

Just be careful if you do get stuck, you can over rev these motors in a heartbeat!

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
I have a 5spd bug I didn't intend to drive in the real snow, but my van that does really well in snow was out of commission for a while. The bug realy did surprise me. This winter was an absolute killer in Michigan, but I had no real problems as long as I took care not to drive it in snow that was too deep.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I live in Illinois and this winter has really tested my beetle. We just had another snow this week. I don't think winter is going to end. I have Continental low profile tires on my beetle and I really didn't know what to expect because last winter we didn't get much snow and this winter was my first true winter to test them. Well I am telling you I am so impressed with my tires and how my beetle has done. I had to be in a rental car for a few days because some idiot backed into my bumper and I could tell the difference, it felt like night and day. Maybe they were crappy tires, who knows, but that was a fairly new car. I just love how my beetle handles and now I know it can handle several inches of snow. I work at a hospital, so it has been tested on 6-7 inches, because working at a hospital, you just can't miss work!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts