NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jetta go 'Getta
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I watch the NB.org fairly often, and although I don't own a NB, I am a VW enthusiast, and I do own an MKIV Jetta.

I am in need of new tires (presently have some OK all-seasons on the factory steel rims.). I plan on getting some Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, or some sort of Blizzaks, and putting them on my steelies. Towards Jan-Feb I will purchase some new 17" rims and put some ultra-high performance all-seasons on there.

I am curious if this sounds logical to you guys, or if the 17" rims with good all-seaons would be OK now? I've heard 15" is much better than 17" in the snow because of smaller contact patch, etc. etc.

Also, I'm looking for some good snow tires. I have read tirerack.com reviews, and the Blizzaks and WSM3's looked good, but any other suggestions are also taken. Less than $100 per tire is what I"m aiming for.

Thank you!

Cody

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
It's a great idea to have a dedicated set of rims with winter tires on them and a really nice set of rims with high performance tires on them, yes. I have Pirelli Winter Carving on VW 15 inch steelies and am more than pleased with the performance in snow and ice.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I have a set of Michelin Arctic Alpins tires on 15" rims for winter. Thay are a little narrower than the stock 16" wheels to help cut through the snow. Also, the taller sidewall provides more protection for the rims from curb damage.

I like the tires. They grip just fine and are fairly quiet.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
IIRC, the stock 16" tire is 205/55/16, so to drop to a 15" steel wheel you would need a 195/65/15. A little narrower to bite through the snow, and as 2k2tdi mentioned, the taller sidewall might help with potholes and whatnot. Mind you, I'd rather ding up a steel wheel than my alloys.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
rcy said:
IIRC, the stock 16" tire is 205/55/16, so to drop to a 15" steel wheel you would need a 195/65/15.
This is correct. I forgot to mention the "Minus-1" sizing needed to move from 16" to 15" rims while keeping the wheel circumference the same. Here is the handy tire size calculator used.

I also bought the tires at Costco and had them mounted there as well. They were a little puzzled at first about the non-stock (for a Beetle) rim size but they proceeded.

The calculator is also handy in case you ever want to move up a size in rims.

Cheers
Arne

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cody said:
Hi! I watch the NB.org fairly often, and although I don't own a NB, I am a VW enthusiast, and I do own an MKIV Jetta.

I am in need of new tires (presently have some OK all-seasons on the factory steel rims.). I plan on getting some Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, or some sort of Blizzaks, and putting them on my steelies. Towards Jan-Feb I will purchase some new 17" rims and put some ultra-high performance all-seasons on there.

I am curious if this sounds logical to you guys, or if the 17" rims with good all-seaons would be OK now? I've heard 15" is much better than 17" in the snow because of smaller contact patch, etc. etc.

Also, I'm looking for some good snow tires. I have read tirerack.com reviews, and the Blizzaks and WSM3's looked good, but any other suggestions are also taken. Less than $100 per tire is what I"m aiming for.

Thank you!

Cody
I bought a set of Gislaved Nord frosts 3
They were expensive, but well worth every penny. I was truely amazed how they held the road on black ice,slushy wet snow and in the deep snow. I was worried at times about my clearence but all I had to do is keep plowing!

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
osprey said:
I bought a set of Gislaved Nord frosts 3
They were expensive, but well worth every penny. I was truely amazed how they held the road on black ice,slushy wet snow and in the deep snow. I was worried at times about my clearence but all I had to do is keep plowing!
Fantastic winter tire!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts