NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya...
Went to Costco today. They had for$20 i think, winter wipers. Anyone use these? The arm body was covered in something, rubber i guess. The blade was thick and heavy looking. They come in our size. Does anyone switch blades for the winter? I'm just curious as i almost got a set. I'd imagine the snow wouldnt clog the bending mechanics of the arm itself as it's covered. And i'd imagine they are made to push snow better.

Thoughts?? I usually just get the one size fits all cut em to size blades as needed. Worth it?:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,311 Posts
I think the winter whipers are just supposed to keep snow from building up around the blade and making it freeze to the window.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya. So, this makes me wonder, what's the end-all-be-all-mother-of-all wipers?? Like, the wipers billionaires use. I would like a wiper upgrade as mine are kinda faded and water spotty and just don't get clean right.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
FineExampl said:
I hear ya. So, this makes me wonder, what's the end-all-be-all-mother-of-all wipers?? Like, the wipers billionaires use. I would like a wiper upgrade as mine are kinda faded and water spotty and just don't get clean right.
Like I said... :p

The Icons are all-season wipers. Slim-lined, aero, and they work very well. No exposed metal.

-Des

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I bought some winter wipers from Autozone when we had our first Nor'Easter a few weeks ago.

Normal wipers get clogged with slush and ice, and freeze up so they only clear a small area of the screen. Winter wipers have a rubber boot that protects the innards of the wipers and means they can keep on working.

Fitting winter wipers is something I do every winter ($7.99 each) for both cars, but they are not suitable for summers, as they are too stiff. Thats when some nice silicone ones go on.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I only use regular blades on the beetle, since it doesn't get out in the winter. However, I do run winter blades year round on the 4Runner. They are covered in a nice rubber, and never freeze. (Well, I'm sure they can and will, but I've never experienced it). Never had any trouble with them.

No offense Des, but winters up here in the North are much different than you experience in Florida, so while "all season blades" may sound good, winter blades up here do much better.

In High School, or driving teacher said he runs one winter blade on the driver's side, and swaps it out come spring. But really, these aren't that much more than regular blades. for $20.00 every couple years, definitely worth the extra quality.

·
CRAZ4VW
520 Posts
Deserion said:
For $20 each, get Bosch Icon aero wipers. Looks just like the VW OEM blades, but they fit the NB with only a tiny mod to the blade's clip.

-Des

Des, what did you have to modify? Mine fit perfectly right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Des, what did you have to modify? Mine fit perfectly right out of the box.
The clip wouldn't allow the blades to lay flush against the window, so I broke the little tab on the long side of the pin opening.

/-------------------\
| ___ |
| | | /////////// |
\----- ---------/

The hashmarked part.

And Pete, do realize that the Icon wipers are not rubber-covered normal wipers like snow blades. There is no actual metal frame, it's a strong monospring encapsulated in rubber. No moving metal parts. ;)

-Des

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
I just realized I need these bad when I was driving on the highway with good visibility, and then tried to perfect my visibility by spraying some windshield washer fluid and moving the wipers. I ended up with 2 puddles on the windshield that I could not get rid of till the wind dried them. I must have looked like such a loser trying to see around it :eyecrazy: I figure there was a layer of perfectly clear ice on the windshield that the wipers were sliding over. So I bought the Reflex wipers from Motomaster at Canadian Tire. They're a very simple design, but work a treat! As an added bonus for my musical enjoyment - NO MORE SQUEAKING WIPERS. Aaaaaaaaah...
Not to mention, installed them myself - GIRL POWER!!!

·
CRAZ4VW
520 Posts
Deserion said:
The clip wouldn't allow the blades to lay flush against the window, so I broke the little tab on the long side of the pin opening.

/-------------------\
| ___ |
| | | /////////// |
\----- ---------/

The hashmarked part.

And Pete, do realize that the Icon wipers are not rubber-covered normal wipers like snow blades. There is no actual metal frame, it's a strong monospring encapsulated in rubber. No moving metal parts. ;)

-Des
I'm not following, got a pic of what you're talking about?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Deserion said:
Yeah, I'll snap one when I get home from work... :eek:

-Des
I've got a set of Icon's now, and they're sweeet! But my drivers side one isn't resting fully on both ends. I looked at the clip and there doesnt seemto be anyhting blocking the clip, but i could also use that pic of your mod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts