NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Im very used to the MKIII VW's, so i dont know very much about the MKIV's or V's. I have a 2000 NB and the wife has a 2006 GLI. In the outside temp display there will sometimes be a snowflake and sometimes not. Like in the case of today, we went to the mountain this morning and the whole way it was like 6deg or lower and there was now snowflake. Comming home it was 22 and there was a snowflake! Is it trying to tell me that its going to snow? Cause that would be the balls!

Thanks,
MattyC

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I think it's trying to tell you that conditions are right for ice.
But, you're right, it seems a little inconsistent when it shows up. I'm not sure what all it figures into the equation (if anything other than temperature).

It could be that there's a window. For me, it seems to turn on right about when the temp falls below 38 degrees. Maybe it turns off again when it's below 18 or whatever, because it figures, at that point, you're in snow (or shouldn't be driving at all ;) ).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steinola said:
I think it's trying to tell you that conditions are right for ice.
But, you're right, it seems a little inconsistent when it shows up. I'm not sure what all it figures into the equation (if anything other than temperature).

It could be that there's a window. For me, it seems to turn on right about when the temp falls below 38 degrees. Maybe it turns off again when it's below 18 or whatever, because it figures, at that point, you're in snow (or shouldn't be driving at all ;) ).
yea...i guess it will forever be a mysterious snowflake :) They guys at the stealership didnt know what it meant either. Maybe ill call VWOA tomorrow and find out!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
My car it comes on if it drops below 40. Usually 37-38. In our Jetta V it comes on exactly ata 37 degreese, and flashes the temp with a snowflake on the computer LCD no less than 7 times and beeps 3 times. The beetle, by comparison, is a silent alerter :)

It should go back off onces it gets to 41, but it can stick. Nothing like freeze warning in summer!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Yeah, it comes on around 40, and will go off when it goes above 42, I believe. The weird thing with the Beetle is how it was programmed. It ONLY goes off when it recognizes a change from 41 to 42. So if it was 35 in the morning, you shut the car off and it warms up, so the next time you start it, it comes on at 45, the snowflake will remain on. I've had two summers where mine remained on.

Also, I'm not sure what the temp, but it will go off after it gets so cold. Maybe single digits? I guess it figures at that point, if you don't realize the roads could have ice, a snowflake isn't going to help.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
I believe Growler has had his snowflake off for about 5 days total since I have owned him.

it always worked out that the programming glitch with the 41-42 degree change never happened the last 2 summers.

anyways. I chalk it up to a character trait. nothing like seeing the temperature reading 99 degrees and having the snowflake on :lol: look out for ice!

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
pdoel said:
Yeah, it comes on around 40, and will go off when it goes above 42, I believe. The weird thing with the Beetle is how it was programmed. It ONLY goes off when it recognizes a change from 41 to 42. So if it was 35 in the morning, you shut the car off and it warms up, so the next time you start it, it comes on at 45, the snowflake will remain on. I've had two summers where mine remained on.
The temp doesn't have to go from 41 to 42 anymore. The car can be off, have the temp change, and the snowflake will still go away. That's how my 2004 is. I guess they finally got around to fixing it. Acutally the clock and temp are always on on mine. Are they always on on the previous model years?

Also, I've heard that to get the snow flake to go away, turn the car on, take the temp sensor off (it's on the grill at the bottom I believe), put it in a glass of ice water, once the temp goes down to where the snowflake should be on, take it out of the water and let it warm up and as it goes from 41 to 42 the snowflake should go away :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow. I never even could figure out what the little symbol was. :D I thought it was maybe supposed to be the sun and had something to do with the lights but couldn't find any rhyme or reason there. I looked in the manual and if there's anything in there about it I couldn't find it.

Mystery solved and now I can sleep at night. :) Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
1poorvw said:
Hey,

Im very used to the MKIII VW's, so i dont know very much about the MKIV's or V's. I have a 2000 NB and the wife has a 2006 GLI. In the outside temp display there will sometimes be a snowflake and sometimes not. Like in the case of today, we went to the mountain this morning and the whole way it was like 6deg or lower and there was now snowflake. Comming home it was 22 and there was a snowflake! Is it trying to tell me that its going to snow? Cause that would be the balls!

Thanks,
MattyC
When the temp. is falling the snow flake will come on below 38 degrees in order to warn you that ice may be on the roads. When the temp. is rising it goes off at 42degrees. No problem.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
squeebug said:
The temp doesn't have to go from 41 to 42 anymore. The car can be off, have the temp change, and the snowflake will still go away. That's how my 2004 is. I guess they finally got around to fixing it. Acutally the clock and temp are always on on mine. Are they always on on the previous model years?

Also, I've heard that to get the snow flake to go away, turn the car on, take the temp sensor off (it's on the grill at the bottom I believe), put it in a glass of ice water, once the temp goes down to where the snowflake should be on, take it out of the water and let it warm up and as it goes from 41 to 42 the snowflake should go away :)
Even easier is to just pop out the whole rear view mirror/temp/clock assembly, disconnect the electrical wiring plug thing from the back, plug it back in, then reinstall the whole thing. It resets it (at least it did for me)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts