VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were in a minor accident today. Very minor. Very lucky it was slow speed and didn't involve me drifting into a busy intersection. I hit the guy in front of me, barely scratched him, but I'm needing a new nose job.

So I have an appointment with a body shop at a Buick dealership, that's where my insurance company sent me. Any words of wisdom for getting my Beetle back to like it never happened?

Attachments

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just dropped it off. It doesn't look like they'll need any parts. The bumper and hood will be repaired. There doesn't seem to be any other damage but they'll know for sure once they remove the bumper. $900. :(

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
for that price get a new OEM hood and get it painted. wow!

-jd

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I don't know about your state, but here in Oregon, YOU chose the repair shop, NOT your insurance! :mad:

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about your state, but here in Oregon, YOU chose the repair shop, NOT your insurance! :mad:
Same here. But they need to do an inspection first, and the insurance inspector is conveniently located in an "approved' body shop. :rolleyes:

I took the estimate he gave me to the place I wanted - its a place called Carsmetics that has several shops around Tampa. I've had them do several of my vehicles in the past, and their work is outstanding. They are never the cheapest, but the quality is impeccable. So I took it there.

They obviously disagreed with the estimate the insurance inspector gave, but that's between them. I will pay only my deductible, and Carsmetics will take care of the rest. So I end up paying $500. And I get the car back as good as new. Its all very stressful and inconvenient, which is why I also value the fact I gave them my car today (accident was yesterday) and I will have it back Thursday.

I'm lucky it wasn't more serious. They'll know once they remove the bumper, but from the outside it looks like it was all superficial, so no damage to the engine or the frame. It was a very slow speed impact. No damage to the engine fans or headlights or anything else that we could see. And more importantly, no damage to me or my wife. The people we hit though are claiming injuries. Go figure. That's between them and the insurance companies.

So the whole bumper is plastic, the hood is metal. Easy to repair. Any bigger impact and it would have required VW involvement for engine repair. I will be happy if I can avoid that.

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, they took the bumper off and the "core support" was broken. They need to order that part, so it will be a couple more days... :(

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Looks great! :party:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts