NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank You for this Discussion Area

:) Hi ! Thank You for this Discussion Area. I really like the 2.5 L 5-Cyl. Lots of Torque! Cool, growly sound too. Have 1600 miles on her now, just used 500ml or half a liter of oil during this part of break-in. Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
2.5 L 5 - Cyl Gas Mileage

:) Hi ! It has been very good. AVG. 28 mpg lowest. 32 mpg highest. I live in a flat, coastal part of South Carolina. So hilly places may not get this kind of mileage. But, I have not turned the AC off since the day I picked it up. I expect 2-3 mpg more with air off, an avg. I usually gain in winter months. I have 2100+ miles now, I broke motor in carefully as per manual. But now I get on it, love the growly sound this motor makes! Thanks:) Andy

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Interesting. Did you get this mileage from the car's display, or did you crunch the numbers yourself. I mention this because those displays sometimes are off by a few percentage points. Even if it's off by, say, 5%, a 26.5 - 30.5 MPG range is hella impressive. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do you mean by display?

I'm thinking of buying a new 2006 Beetle...does the car come standard with one of those "trip computers" that keeps track of your average miles per gallon and estimated fuel range?

I didn't see mention of that feature on VW's web site or in the brochures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No trip Computer...but still great !

:) Hi, there is not a trip computer on the New Beetles(New Jetta & New Passat do). But the car is so cool, it will hardly matter!:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel Efficiency

I drove 2000 miles in my NBC on the 2.5L I5 through Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado, all freeway at speeds around 60-80. I got 28mpg calculated consistently. Not more! In town, I get 22-24 at best. Not exactly earth shattering - but hey, between that and my TDI Golf, I still average 42 in city. BTW, gas mileage seems to be independent of Top Up/Down on the NBC - which is strange.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fuel Mileage

:) Hi ! The Boulder, Co Chamber of Commerce says their elevation is at 5,340 ft. My elevation is not even 40 ft.(sea-level is best for mileage & power) And not one noticable hill the 25 miles each way to work. So worse mileage should be expected higher you are. Especially with the robust gearing VW gave us. If not in 5th gear(man)or 6th(auto) I would not expect much in fuel mileage. But, at least great gearing for hills!:) And 205/55/16 Michelin Energy+ Tires help, 8BUG is Base, no options. Just Monster Mats, Trunk Mat, and Chrome Tips. Keeps weight low.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Nbc

I love the car...I'm worried that they'll come out with a turbo version of the 2.5 that will scream and I'll have to trade this one in. I'm in Florida and I've been averaging 24 mpg around town...not too bad. Got 1000 miles on her, and I stopped by here to see if I could find out how to change the oil myself. I don't want to wait to 5,000 for the first oil change. Any suggestions?

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
Having driven NBs with all the available engines (2.0l, 1.8t, TDi and the 2.5)... I must say that I really like the 2.5 It feels as torquie as the TDI, meaning it scoots off the block, and has enough HP to keep up with the 1.8... Simply beats the 2.0 in all areas. Too bad it is too costly to put the 2.5 in Otto.. I guess I am stuck with the 2.0 for a long time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We are getting horrible milage on ours. Only about 16 to 18 mpg with a 50/50 mix of city and hwy driving. If we knew it was going to be this bad we would have waited the 6 months for a diesel. I can't believe how bad it is.

:mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
WOW...that's Scary

:( Sorry to hear so bad mileage. I wonder if something wrong? I honestly have not got a tankfull to get less than 28mpg. This is what I do. I have 5-speed manual, rev to 3000rpm 1,2 gears decide if I can go to 5th gear yet if I can I skip right to 5th. Like 4000rpm in 2nd I think will allow me to go to 5th. Or like at 40mph shift to 5th. I have those 205/55/16 Michelin Energy Plus tires run 35 psi all around. ANd put some premium gas in it once in awhile helps keep fuel injectors clean. No extra stuff in trunk. Top gear is best advise I can give. But your numbers make me worry something is wrong. What do you think? Just trying to help.:)

·
tappy yappy occa
5 Posts
I live in southeast georgia and no hills may be the difference, but I am getting around 31 mpg here in town. I thought that I was doing something wrong like running the AC. I did not know that was good gas mileage. I haven't had it on the interstate very much but I plan to take a trip soon.:)

·
MattyJ
15 Posts
as an obsessive beetle owner (first new car) I've calculated my gas milage at around 22. I'm in east tennessee and suffer from
lead-foot so I'm not surprised at the milage. Still beats the 12 I get out of my jeep!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought my first NBC and I am averaging around 28 mpg. So far I love my NBC , I am just waiting on new performance parts to come out for it as well as a body kit. I have driven several 98-99 models and I really like the new 5 cylinder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are about the same (28mpg). 60/40 highway/city driving. We have 650 miles now on the odometer.

There is just no comparison on the 2.0L vs. our new 2.5L. We really wanted a 1.8T when we bought the 2.0L, but premium fuels costs (before they went through the roof) stopped us. Since the 2.5L used Regular we took the plunge. The 2.5L really rounds out the New Beetle and makes it feel like a sports car for us now. Before the 2.0L was fun and handled great and had decent acceleration, but now...WOW! :D

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
i like the 1.8 a lot better i just test drove the 2.5 the other day and i was not that happy with it. yea it beats a 2.0 but i hope someday they put the 2.0 T in

·
Registered
29 Posts
:cool: :D :D :cool:
dr427 said:
We are about the same (28mpg). 60/40 highway/city driving. We have 650 miles now on the odometer.

There is just no comparison on the 2.0L vs. our new 2.5L. We really wanted a 1.8T when we bought the 2.0L, but premium fuels costs (before they went through the roof) stopped us. Since the 2.5L used Regular we took the plunge. The 2.5L really rounds out the New Beetle and makes it feel like a sports car for us now. Before the 2.0L was fun and handled great and had decent acceleration, but now...WOW! :D

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
So far, so good!

Moonie has about 1K miles on her at this point. The mileage has been in the mid 20s thus far (it isn't broken in yet, IMHO).

I like the smoothness of the power - I miss the swoosh that our 1.8t had, but Moonie seems to have lots more pull without as much torque-steer as Red had.

I hope the mileage for those who've had issues gets better. I hope it works out very well for you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts