VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , I am a newbie to the site. I have searched and read many threads regarding problems with soft-top function. I believe my problem is the microswitch at the windshield frame. I want to replace it. Does anyone know how to access that switch; how does one remove the panel? Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hello all , I am a newbie to the site. I have searched and read many threads regarding problems with soft-top function. I believe my problem is the microswitch at the windshield frame. I want to replace it. Does anyone know how to access that switch; how does one remove the panel? Thanks
Why do you think that switch is bad?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just from reading other threads and deduction. One of the threads was replied to by you. It's from 5-31-2012 "2004 new beetle convertible top issue." My problem is: flaps will not close when top is closed and latched; there is no problem with the function of the top. I checked the hooks on the top; they are fine, no free play at all. Also cleaned the switch and flipped it up and down a few times - no luck
I want to access the switch so I can test it with an ohmmeter. Do you know how to remove the trim panel on the top of the windshield frame? Thanks.

·
Registered
762 Posts
OK, so if you've checked the right side hook and it is solid, then there is a chance something is up with the switch.

As I recall to get to the switch, you need to pull the right side A pillar off, remove the right sun visor, along with its clip and then the trim can be pulled loose. I never fully removed the interior side of the trim that runs along the top of the windshield, just pulled the right side down enough to access the switch.

If you have a dealer level scan tool like VCDS, then you can view live data from the switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts