NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep it brief.
the main point is that the microswitches controlling the top locking motors are mounted using a screw through an oval slot. They can work loose over time so that the end of the moving arm on the motor fails to operate the switch. The switch itself is OK it's just not getting pressed to send the correct signal.
This can leave the system in a state where it thinks the roof is neither locked or unlocked and the whole thing will then stop operating.

UK spec 2005 model 1.6L petrol engine.

Problem occurred when I'd put the roof down OK but it did nothing when I tried to put it back up.
The relays on the hydraulic pump could be heard to click in both directions i.e. when the centre console switch is pushed up or down.
Connecting with VAG-COM showed a code of 00 010 001000 meanin that the left hand locking motor thought it was cycling between locked and unlocked.
By operating the top manaully I was able to confirm that every other switch was operating correctly. See here for the correct sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTrK8-BxpM

The rear panel is pain to remove and even worse to put back on. Quite simply fixed in place but a real fiddle to get it back.
Once opened up you can check the switch operation. In my case I could press them and make the roof work. I noticed the screw fixing and adjusted it to make proper contact with the operating arm. this has fixed the problem.
It's worth checking this first if you encounter similar problems before jumping the gun and ordering new parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
F171 microswitches

Hi. After experiencing the problems I originally detailed I've now also encountered a problem whereby the hood will open and go back but the top locking motors do not cycle and this means that the roof cannot be moved either up or down using the centre console switch.
Using VAG-COM i determined that this time it was likely to be the F171 microswitches.
Rather than have to go through the hassle of removing the rear panels again I used spray on electrical cleaner via a straw to soak the switches in situ. It's a bit of a twist to get in there but manageable. I gave them both a good soaking and left for a few hours before repeating. It seems to have done the trick and the hood now operates correctly.

With reference to my original post it wasn't the F171 switches that I had to adjust, it was the ones that control the locking motors & are located on both sides behind the interior rear panel. The F171s are located on the roof's hydraulic ram on the right hand side of the car.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top