NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to slowly fix my bug up, finally found a vacuum leak. I've got the water pump, timing belt done. Just did some vacuum hoses, muffler, oil change, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter...

Is there anything else I can check or clean/fix that would help out my car or would be some good maintenance?

It's a 2000 with 102xxx miles on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Check the fuse block on top of the battery for melted wiring or over heating.

Check your CV boots, they fail usually by now, usually the passenger side inner boot goes first.

Check the center exhaust pipe hanger welds, these break often, 2 large hose clamps makes a suitable repair in my opinion.

Check the metal water pipe from the Aux water pump toward the rear of the engine on the passenger side inner frame rail, these rust and leak.

Remove your wipers and cowl cover, and the front half of the dash, change the cabin air filter and clean out all of the trash that can block drains.

Hopefully you replaced the thermostat when you replaced the timing belt and water pump.

Watch your serpentine belt pensioner and see if it is moving around. It should be pretty stable. The alternator pulley is a big failure point, I will hopefully post up info on this in the next few days.

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
Cabin Filter

The cabin filter is under the top pass side of the dash board.Not on the outside under the cowl at least it is on my 2000 1.8t gls anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks!! I already have done the cabin filter, and I'm almost positive the thermostat was changed. I'll do a bit of research to make sure I'm looking at the right things (don't overestimate my knowledge... it's minimal) and check all that out. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
maintenance

Going from a few things that are not yet mentioned previously;
clean the Cambi valve and check all hoses going to and from the SAI pump. check all suspension, especially the CV axle boots to make sure their not torn or dry rotted. Clean the throttle body valve. Depanding on what type of humidity you have in the Area you might need to replace the brake fluid. I didn't do my brake fluid until 7-8 years though...never had problems either. Clean or replace oil pickup tube.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question about the throttle body valve: I was thinking about thoroughly cleaning it meaning taking it off and replacing that gasket but when I put it on will I need a VAGCOM or will it align itself?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I'm first trying to go through my vacuum hoses, seeing as I just fixed some slices in one, and replace them. However for those really small 4mm/3.5mm hoses I might need new t fittings and such in case one breaks. Where can I find some that are small enough? Oreillys didn't have any.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
T-vavle

Question about the throttle body valve: I was thinking about thoroughly cleaning it meaning taking it off and replacing that gasket but when I put it on will I need a VAGCOM or will it align itself?
I already cleaned my throttle valve twice and the first time I just re-used the same gasket since it was still in good condition when I removed it. The second time I just went ahead and replaced the gasket. I don't believe you would need to recalibrate the T-valve with a vag-com. In my case I just turn the ignition key to on position without starting the car, hold there for 25-30 seconds and then turn back off, ya done man.
I don't know about the hoses T connections, sorry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had a bit of a hiccup. Car would start, then die. Kinda like it did whne I had a CPS and MAF issue.. So I went under the hood and the connector for the MAF just slid off. I put it back on till it wouldnt just pull right off and the car started up and idled like it has been. Does this mean I need a new connector for the MAF at all? I hear it's like 7$. Also, I thought the car would run sans MAF, in fact that's how I always read you guys testa bad MAF.
note: I had been driving the car about an hour or so before, kinda hit a couple bumps, idk if that knocked that loose. also the car was warm.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
my MAF plug was cracked and i didnt know it because it looked perfectly fine. took my vagcom and some research to find out the problem... the thing about our german cars is that they made them with biodegradable plastic. so hot weather does nothing for them. if you live in a hot place like me (dallas 100 degrees today) i would check all connections that get tampered with in maintenance check ups. as a VW mechanic we always did.

-jd

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my MAF plug was cracked and i didnt know it because it looked perfectly fine. took my vagcom and some research to find out the problem... the thing about our german cars is that they made them with biodegradable plastic. so hot weather does nothing for them. if you live in a hot place like me (dallas 100 degrees today) i would check all connections that get tampered with in maintenance check ups. as a VW mechanic we always did.

-jd
Thanks! I have a long list but I'll definitely put that on there. I think my question was should I replace that plastic connection there or just try and check it over for obvious degradation and then replace it?

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
just look it over really well and if you see cracks or the tab that "clicks" in place is missing its time for a new one.

-jd

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
maf plug

Thanks! I have a long list but I'll definitely put that on there. I think my question was should I replace that plastic connection there or just try and check it over for obvious degradation and then replace it?
I would just hold the maf plug in place with a ty-wrap or zip-ty so that it won't slip out again Unless you plan on selling the car in the immediate future than I would fix it wright.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been going through hoses and replacing them found one that I'm not sure what it's called or what it is even hooked to. Sorry there are so many marks on this picture but it's the pink hose.
0709131225.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thiiiink this is the breather hose? at the pressure regulating valve? There is a little attachment that looks like it's supposed latch to another hose but I'm not sure what that would be.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I'd bring up my old thread since it's really just me attempting more maintenance.
AC wasn't working, after some thread searching went to check the fuses and found this. It seems to be the same fuse that I think others said was the issue. Sorry for the poor picture quality (my nonsmartphone looks like it's from the 90's) but there is some warping next to the fuse and part of it was stuck/melted in there.
0121141227b.jpg
0121141228.jpg

ALSO, checked over some hoses like I typically do and saw this crack. IF you could tell me the hose/part #/******* fix I'd greatly appreciate it.
0121141227.jpg
0121141227a.jpg

Thanks guys.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Your part number is on the hose.

If you type in that series of numbers with the spaces, it will kick up the hose. Found a few on eBay of all places.

For the search to be successful? you HAVE to use the word "HOSE" in your search. Otherwise you'll get some oddball nonsense to drag through.

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Your part number is on the hose.

If you type in that series of numbers with the spaces, it will kick up the hose. Found a few on eBay of all places.

For the search to be successful? you HAVE to use the word "HOSE" in your search. Otherwise you'll get some oddball nonsense to drag through.

S-
Only issue when obtaining VW part numbers from older/original parts is they may have been updated or superseded with a different/newer part number. So be careful when using the original part number, it may or may not be 100% helpful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YEah I realized the part number was on it after I posted the picture. Or that I could just buy some elbow hose that would probably be cheaper.

Mostly I'm concerned about the fuse box, I realize I need to replace my fuse box or rerout that wire with the 30amp fuse that is obviously messed up. But what caused that part to melt? IT didn't blow the fuse it melted the box around it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts