NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are my '05 XR8 Ford ute,'64 deluxe Beetle with 30,000 miles and my '56 Beetle that is nearing completion from a full resto with big wheels/brakes,2.7lt type4 and auto trans from a Type3 and my 02 NB turbo with sunroof and auto trans.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am into vintage,and I have that covered with my original 64 and a 54 in need of restoration.I am also into modified and love Ovals the best- so this one ends a 20 odd year dream.I decided to make it look like my NB as much as possible.I am not into the rag sunroofs really,so when I came across a rusted out 66 with the steel slider,decided it would suit my car a lot better.Steel sliders here are very rare compared to rag ones,and that appealed to me also.I may decide to put one into my 54 when I restore that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After my 56 is done-the next one is this 66 Custom that I am going to fit all the suspension and trans from an Aussie Country Buggy under it.The CB's were similar to your Things with a Bus type reduction box tranny and raised spindles on the front.I have already done a rear disc brake conversion for it with 5x130 studs so I can use these wheels.I have 2 15x8 and 2 15x6 so will fit them with some off road tyres.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Sweet rides!
From the title, though, I was hoping this was another "Lost" thread ;) Just kidding.

Wish I had the patience for a resto job. I commend you... two projects going at once.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your Pontiac GTO is a Monaro out here-we have had 2 door Monaro's out here since '68 and were used initially for motor racing with the first V8 in a Holden sedan(327 ci)They still only run a pushrod set up,unlike my Ford which is a 5.4lt,quad overhead cam with 32 valves and variable cam timing.You had better get a good look at the GTO's-because they are going out of production here.They didn't sell around the world as expected,so production costs have sounded the death knock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wawalker said:
I really like your set-up to control the flex in the rear tranny mounts, but I bet it will put a lot of noise into the chassis. I had a Gene Berg rear engine mount on my '68 w/ a built 1776cc Type 1 engine. It had polyeurathane mounts like a sway bar but still put noise into the chassis. It was worth it though because it helped get the power to the ground!:D

I hadn't thought about that happening because I am using rubber engine and trans mounts all round-Chrysler V8 front engine mounts at the bellhousing,Toyota 4 wheel drive spring shackle rubbers at the front of the trans and the original Type 4 Bus rear hanger on the back of the motor mounted solid to the body-so the whole drive train is insulated from the body.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a pic of my Ute taken with my Son's blue XR6 ute(this was my old one-sold it to him at 20,000ks) and his mates XR6 sedan.The XR6 motors are really wild as well-dual overhead cams,4 valves a cylinder with variable cam timing and about 250 HP.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was the last time our 2 utes will ever be together-my son has moved to Queensland for work and I think he is going to get a new Pursuit 290KW ute very soon-these come with all the race type brakes and suspension and big wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[

"Wish I had the patience for a resto job. I commend you... two projects going at once.[/QUOTE]"
Actually have 3 on the go at once-am collecting all the bits to build a Beetle drag car as well.Have got a single side plate trans that has had all the beef up stuff done to it(have Type4 drive flanges and drive shafts to use the big CV joints) and a 2.9lt Autocraft engine which is being rebuilt at the moment.The motor has a dry sump system and Hilborn injection,but may use some 48mm Webers on it for nostalgia,or go with a new type injection system.If the auto trans in my Oval goes OK,I will probably fit an auto in the drag car as well.I have another 66 car in reasonable condition,so will strip the body off after Xmas and get the pan blasted ready to fab up a roll cage etc.I would really like to turn it into a ute type body with a Styleside rear tray with big spoiler.Next year is going to very busy for me to try and get some projects finished.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got some more bits back from the painter-both doors and front and rear lids.Fitted both lids and seals and adjusted.Also fitted some of the badges.Marked out and cut the hole in the rear tray for clearance for the front of the auto.Will make it removeable so I can also adjust the front band.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got everything from the painter now-put the body back on the pan-need to do a few mods to the engine mounts to properly align the motor in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got one from underneath showing the auto and the motor in the bay-it looks so small in there.When I have finished modifying the mounts-I will have all the bars and brackets cad plated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
So wonderful to see these cars come back to a vivid life! Kudos to you! :clap:

And, I'd bet that XR8 Ford would do well here in the states. It's gorgeous! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks-I have had the exhaust on the Ute changed to a twin 2.5inch with straight thru mufflers which has made a real difference in performance as well as sound-but still pleasant to drive on the highway.I must take some more pics of it to show you the inside as well.We can get the computers upgraded now to give more horsepower,so will look into costs etc.Don't you get anything like these in the States? I suppose it's only the F Series size utes over there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't believe it's been 2 years since I was here.Have been extra busy with my work,trying to finish my Oval and get stuck into my Drag Car.The Oval is finally done and it's awesome to drive.I decided to go ahead with the fuel injection B4 it was finished-but it became a major headache.Initially I chose the wrong person to do the ECU,and his choice of ECU was crap.I finished up with a Haltech and took it to somebody who knew what they were doing.He had a few issues initially, with the timing going into full advance while cranking-causing some serious damage to starter motors.I used 48mm Throttle Bodies with Bosch injectors and fuel pump mounted alongside the trans.I am using a lift pump up front to keep fuel at the F.I. pump.I have the ECU and ignition module under the back seat,with the fuel pressure reg.underneath.I have sold my XR8 ute and bought a new Ford Ranger dual cab 4X4 ute.It has a 3lt turbo diesel with 5 speed auto.Very impressed with the power and comfort.Ford here are going to release a new model ute here in June with the 290KW motor standard across the range.Will buy another one if they look OK.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts