NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Sad news today...somebody egged Dot (i changed her name,Ursula didnt feel quite right)last night. I am extremely distraught seeing as how I only got her about a week and a half ago. I did get most of the egg off. i got it off of the windshield and the whole front. I just have it all stuck in the corners of the windshield wipers. I'm gonna need to hose that off. It came off pretty easy cuz I cleaned it up right away as soon as I saw, but on the front hood there are polka dots of where the egg was. It is not left over egg, the paint has shriveled up and it looks like its all wrinkly. I'm not sure what to do. Does the whole hood need to be repainted? Im so mad right now! i dont have the money for that right now. I would like to :runnethov whoever did this to my car!:(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sad that ppl do this. It sounds as if you may not have gotten all the egg off, odd that it would do this type of damage to your paint in this short time. From your post it doesn't seem that it was exposed to any serious sun or heat. If you have factory paint, and any kind of wax on the finish at all, IMO it should all come off. Get back out there with a hose, a soft cloth, and some dishwashing soap mixed in a bucket of water (Dawn is great), and go a little scrubbing (stay out of the sun).

If it doesn't, no, you don't have to replace the hood! If the color is one that is clear coated, typically VW only did this with the metallic paints, it may need to be sanded and re-shot with clear. It it is the base coat, the hood will need to be re-painted. Check with your local Dealer and see who does they're paint work, as they will probably have your color in stock, and will be familiar with working with VW finishes. he cost from this shop should also be less because they should have your paint color in stock.

Check with you insurance co, this should be covered under your comprehensive, and will not penalize you, although you may have a deductible to deal with. It may also be covered under your homeowner's policy.

Sorry this happened to you.

MORAV

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
Getting your bug egged is not fun at all. I have had that happen to other cars I have owned, it just really makes you mad. Egg can damage the paint if it stays on long enough, as it seems to in your case. Clean off what you can. Get estimates on the costs of repairs, and let your insurance know, if you have that coverage.:(

One of the best preventatives is a good cover. It's well worth the money.:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
One of the best preventatives is a good cover. It's well worth the money.:)
Lacking that, a good liquid sealer, then sevral coats of good hard carnuba paste wax. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ik! I cant believe that somebody did this. I believe that it was the upstairs neighbors, they dont seem to like me for some reason. i never did anything to them. There were at least 8 other cars in the lot and mine was the only one with egg on her. poor Dot :( I do think that I got all of the egg off of the hood. I did use dishsoap and a cloth and those crinkly spots are still there. I think that before I go to class today I will take her to the son fresh and so clean car wash. They wash their cars by hand there and i will see what they can do. Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts