NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it was too tempting, that white, egg-like exterior. Maybe she looked so much like Humpty-Dumpty that someone had to do it. Whatever the reason, while I was out enjoying the day with my hubby and Egglatina was sitting in a parking place, somebody whacked her on the roof. Fortunately it is not too bad, just a little chipped paint and a small dent. Just ticks me off. I'll get some touch-up paint tomorrow. I just had to whine a bit. :(

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Some people are just plain mean. You just have to hope that what goes around comes around. I hope they own a very expensive car someday and someone rams a shopping cart into it!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
What is WRONG with people??? :mad:

Two words: Karma, Baby! :shoot:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Gosh, I have a dent about the same size in my hood in almost the same spot. If you just move your dent toward the center a few inches that would match my dent! Mine got there from a pine cone. Sometimes where I park in the hills, there are alot of trees that drop these pine cones that aren't the fully formed brown and lightweight variety. They are small and hard and green. They can do major damage, I'll tell you. One day I was detailing a customers mini suv in his driveway, yeah, under a HUGE tree and boom! Pinecone cracked the back window. Had to call the glass guy. Watch out for pinecones! ;)

·
Beer BEer BEER beER
271 Posts
that looks like someone back into it. Like a truck with 2*4's sticking out the back, or tree limbs, or pipe. Something long and projecting way out from the bed of the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have to agree that this was damage done by something other than an intentional hit. And probably along the lines of what was posted immediately above; the driver was probably not even aware that he/she damaged your vehicle. Not excusing what they did, however.

If what I am seeing is broken/cracked steel, the damage is a little more serious than a little touch-up paint, as there appears to be an opening into the body. Your comprehensive insurance should cover the repair without impacting your rates. Talk to your Agent and get his advice.

M.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we believe this happened when we were parked in a two story concrete parking garage for a couple of hours. We were on the lower level which sticks out slightly beyond the upper level and we were right on the edge of it in a disabled parking spot (yes, my hubby's placque was visible and up-to-date). I think the pinecone theory is out. :) It looks like someone dropped a bottle or something long from the upper level.

It is actually a very shallow oblong dent (see diagonal scuff in the up-close photo) with a slightly deeper dimple at each end. The paint cracked at the front edge of the winshield, but I don't think it cracked the steel at all.

I am thinking that to do a total repair would be bondo and respraying the spot. To do a partial preventive maintenance repair would be to have the dent popped out and touched up with touch up paint to prevent rust. I will touch base with my insurance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to our insurance carrier and it would be covered under our comprehensive with no affect on the rates. We have a $500 deductable, and also a good loss of use policy which would kick in to help. So I'll get an estimate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts