VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you all for taking a look at my post. There are questions at the end but I would like to give you a back drop first.

Car is a 1999 1.8t New Beetle GLX with an automatic. I bought it with the intention of doing a 24v VR6 and 6 speed manual swap. Finances have changed and now the goal is to getting it running. Scanned the car for faults, fixed all the problems and reset the codes. I took it out for a spin and either blew the head gasket or turbo based on the low hanging cloud I produced from the exhaust. Ouch.
Going into this purchase I did not realize this NB has an APH motor. My research has concluded used APH motors are hard to find, and if you do find one it will not be cheap. So researched some more to find the long blocks for MKIV’s are the same. I found several J/G long blocks from ’01-’04 at a reasonable price.

All the replacements I found are from manual cars are the cranks different (mounting points for the flywheel and torque converter)?

I realize this question could be self-answered if I had a repair manual. Can someone chime in on what manual/information source assist better, Bentley, Clinton, Hanes manuals or All Data?

Which engine code (year and model found in) is the most comparable to the APH motor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not done a compression test. I can at least do that to rule out the head gasket.
Over the next couple of days I will order a Bentley CD rom for the car so I have a step by step way to trouble shoot the problem.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, the Bentley manual is very good. Alldata really is useless, in my opinion.I have alldata pro at work and very seldom use it. I get most of my information from Google. Its real world stuff that gets you to forums like this one. Where we tackle real problems with real fixes! Hopefully we can help walk you through this one.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
for the record I got my new AWV motor from a guy who bought it with the intention of swapping his blown APH and ended up realizing it would be WAY too much work to do. Something about the variable valve timing on the AWV that the APH doesn't have, and all the other parts like wiring harness, ECU, immobilizer, cluster, o2 sensors.. I dunno.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts