NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short time aafter I bought my New Beetle I had a CEL light up. I plugged in my OBDII scan tool and it came back with code PO411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow. I erased the code and it hasn't showed up again. Recently (8000 miles ago) I changed my water pump and belts After putting everything back togather I had a CEL. So I plugged in the OBDII to see what was up. It came back Fail. I plugged into my wifes 05 focus and it came back no codes. I finally got hooked up with a friend with Vag-Com And he could not get a reading. I believe he got a (fail to connect) or a (fail to communicate). Anybody know whats up. If my port has gone bad, is it just a matter of replacing the cable. Does it go straight from the pot location under the dash straight to the ECU:dunno: ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Suck. I dunno man.

When you did the timing belt, did you disconnect the battery?

what the heck coulda happened. :/
I'm afraid a dealership would jump on the 'replace the ECU' bandwagon as first action.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
do u have an aftermarket sterio????

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Check the OBDII connection first. Perhaps it's been jostled a bit and you're no longer getting contact.

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the stock stereo. I did not disconnect the battery when I changed my water pump but I did disconnet it after the vag com test. Made no difference. I do not believe the engine work had anything to do with the failure to connect. I was simply listing what had been done to the car since I last communicated with the ECU.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
im trying to remember but was the car on or off when you plugged in the vag com? i think that makes a difference but for the life of me i cant remember if the car should be off or on.

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure with Vag-Com . But the Grant who was checking my car knows and he went from my car (no connection) to his car (connection and no codes). So no mistake there.

·
502 Posts
u need to get a cable with a light on it and see if the obd2 port is trashed if its red it needs to be taken in and replaced.. and if i remember corectlay... theirs a fuse u can pull that might make it work i know its for the insterment cluster but i cant remember what fuse

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is getting me closer thanks V-dubed. Are you talking about a cable that I would plug into my obdII port That lights up red if the connector (the purple part under the dash) is bad. And where did you read about the fuse?

·
502 Posts
some where on vortex... people where talking about not connecting to lemmiwinks but it might work for u. and yes the light on the cable. its a safty featcher so u wont mess something up.. if the port is bad it shines a red light. good green. ill try and find the site for u

·
502 Posts
ok dude its fuse #11... but if u start the car it will throw a code... so u will halft to clear it if u get it working. ope that helps

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey V-Dubed where did you read about this #11 fuse I would like to take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
yelojkt said:
A short time aafter I bought my New Beetle I had a CEL light up. I plugged in my OBDII scan tool and it came back with code PO411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow. I erased the code and it hasn't showed up again. Recently (8000 miles ago) I changed my water pump and belts After putting everything back togather I had a CEL. So I plugged in the OBDII to see what was up. It came back Fail. I plugged into my wifes 05 focus and it came back no codes. I finally got hooked up with a friend with Vag-Com And he could not get a reading. I believe he got a (fail to connect) or a (fail to communicate). Anybody know whats up. If my port has gone bad, is it just a matter of replacing the cable. Does it go straight from the pot location under the dash straight to the ECU:dunno: ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check fuse #12, 7.5 amps. listed as B+ ( battery positive voltage) for DLC, or Data link connector. This is the correct fuse position for my 99 GLS, 1.8 turbo. If this fuse is not blown, than VW service is the only help you will get in re-connecting with OBD ll port. If the exact directions for scanning with after market scanners is not followed, problems like this can occurr. If there is a small current in the scanner when the cable is connected, a surge will knock out this fuse...See what VW says. Good Luck, JK

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fuse 11 and 12 are both fine but when I put fuse 11 back in and started my car the airbag light came on and now it is staying on (all day now).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts