NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum. Even though I have been reading it and found some great answers to my problems for the past 2 years I've had my beetle, I can't find the answer to this one... I have a New beetle 1.8 2000

My "brake" light has been coming on, beeping and flashing, while I'm driving. I have no other light on (all the other posts said that also had an ABS light on as well but nothing like that for me).

It stop flashing when I jiggle the hand brake (pulling it up slightly, until the 1st click, and back down again). Could it just be the sensor being off? My brakes seem to work just fine...

Thanks for any help you can give me!!! I don't want to go to the garage because they always seem to find something VERY expensive to fix on my car...being a woman AND english not being my first language (i'm french), i always feel like they take advantage of me... ANYWAYS, thank you!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This may be a little more technical than you want.

The ebrake warning lamp staying on when the parking brake is released is an indicator of two things. 1) low brake fluid 2) electrical malfunction in the system

As yours is not staying on when the ebrake is released, but rather coming on while you are driving AND being mechanically related to the position of hand brake lever, it is apparent that the failure is in the mechanical "tripping" of the switch.

This switch is the very same type as the one in the door of your oven, a "plunger" type switch, that reacts according to the position of the plunger. However, it works in reverse of the one in your oven door. When extended, the switch connects the circuit and the light is on. When compressed, the circuit is opened and the light goes of. The switch is mounted below the lever handle, so when you release the brake and lower the lever handle, the switch is plunger is pushed in. Something is causing that action to act erratic, either the switch is bad, the mounting of the switch is loose, the lever handle is loose or it's pivoting mechanism is worn. The switch lookes something like this

I can tell you with a certain amount of surety that nothing else is malfunctoning and there is no impending danger. To the best of my knowledge the switch is not adjustable, however, that said, I suppose the adjustment of the cables to the brakes themselves, which causes the tension on the lever, could need adjusting, and this, in turn, could cause the lack of enough pressure on the switch to "trip" it. Perhaps someone who has dealt with this specific issue can offer more insight.

MORAV

Technically speaking...

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for such a precise answer!! I really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure my brakes weren't gonna stop working or something haha! Thank you again for taking the time!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

It kept coming on every 5 minutes today so I took it to the mechanic so he could take a quick look at it. He looked at the brake fluid level and said it looked a little low to him. I'm getting really worried now, even though the light still turns off when I jiggle the ebrake. I just put SO much money in this car, it's getting ridiculous. I'm taking it back on Tuesday so they can take a closer look at it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts