NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me for all my recent questions but I am having an emergency and I am trying so very hard not to break down and bring my baby to the stealership.

Long story, short. I replaced timing belt and the works. I drove it for 600+ miles and it felt great. CEL came on, still felt great. Code read cam sensor and cylinder 1 misfire (old).

Opened top belt cover and noticed (1) tensioner was off its mark by about 3/4" and (2) the white out markes from my belt change-over were all gone except one and it was off two notches.

So, here's my problem. I don't know how to align my belt now that the marks that were correct are now gone and it has definitely skipped at least 1 or two notches. And, I am not certain why the tensioner moved.

At first, when I was checking it out I aligned the notch on the tensioner and rotated the engine two revolutions (carefully) counter clockwise and each time the notch on the tensioner was way off.

I really want to fix this problem quickly because last time I worked on the timing belt/tensioner/water pump/thermo I had the car on stands for about two months.

I miss my car (99 2.0L GLS Beetle) and I hope that someone can help me!!!

And, once this is solved I promise to leave everyone alone for a long time!!!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
First do you have a copy of the Bentley? If not, meet me, and I'll loan you mine.
Basic steps to take are:
1) remove the belt - no need to remove the motor mount, you are just going to change the position of the belt.
2) set #1 cylinder to TDC using the notch and mark on the fly wheel - if you remove spark plugs it is easier to turn over the motor by hand.
3) set the cam to the timing mark, and lock cam into position.
4) put the belt back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks FineExampl for making me feel so welcome!

And Hannaco and Tetsa, thanks for the advice.

Could you answer just a few more questions? I think I need to read about some basic timing issues but I hope you can shed some light for now!

If I take the belt off, should I make sure that the crank is at the timing mark as well?

How am I certain that the crank is at TDC for cylinder 1?

Is the cam always at TDC for cylinder 1 at the mark?

The manual says not to have the crank at TDC for cylinder 1 when installing the toothed belt but isn't that the whole idea to have the cam and crank timed together?

And the tensioner is still troubling me, even with the great PDF.

I align, tighten, and rotate (counterclock) two revolutions then the alignment is off! Is the tensioner only aligned at TDC and it moves throughout the cycle until it's back at TDC?

And thanks Hannaco, I do have the Bentley but it assumes I know perhaps more than I do and, as I said, I just need to get myself square with a few timing basics first!

Any more help would be greatly appreciated, again, and thanks so much for sticking with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts