NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This DIY is for Removing/Replacing the Stock Front Nose Sound Panels; aka Skid Plate. Actually only the Center Sound Panel can truly be called a skid plate.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you won’t glue your fingers together or use a cutting torch to get the bad part out and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong ... AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB...

1) 1998 AEG 2.0 Liter, 5 Speed, O2J Transmission

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author (D2Beetle) when you tell all of your BUG buddies!!

TIME NEEDED: 30 Minutes.

ITEMS NEEDED: An eBahn Bentley DVD or Haynes manual.

PROJECT COST: These parts are typically dealer parts, so the prices noted here are dealer prices ...
Drivers Side Panel: $ 82.88 (1C0 825 245E)
Passengers Side Panel: $ 51.19 (1C0 825 250C)
Center Sound Panel: $ 95.46 (1J0 825 237 AD) [Skid Plate]
... TN Taxes 9.75%: $ 22.38
... Parts Grand Total: $ 251.91

SPECIAL TOOLS: None.

WARNINGS: You have to jack up the car so take the necessary precautions for working under a car.

CAUTIONS: Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) that you missed? There will be lots of screws so do not loose any, I put mine in Ziploc bag(s) labeled as to where they go.

So let’s begin ...

The Pic below shows you the general location of the Sound Panels. Drivers Side Red, Center Yellow and Passenger Side Orange.

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step One: Jack up the front of the car; I do not recommend the drive up ramps as they might interfere with getting the side panels out.

Step Two: Remove the Center Sound Panel [SP DIY 01]. Remove the four screws and pull the panel toward the rear of the car to release it from under the radiator.

Technical Note: The Round Snap Clips [SP DIY 02 and 03] that hold on the Drivers and Passenger Side Panels must be turned counter clockwise to get them off. Trying to pull or pry these clips off will break the sound panel and make the clips unusable. Pic [SP DIY 04A] shows you the method that I use. Putting these clips back on is easy; simply get a 13mm deep well socket, center it on the clip and push up; you will hear them snap into place.

Step Three: Remove the Drivers Side Sound Panel [SP DIY 02]. Remove the round snap ring and the screw at the end of the panel [SP DIY 05] and the panel can be removed.

Step Four: Remove the Drivers Side Sound Panel [SP DIY 03 and 04]. Remove the round snap ring and the screw at the end of the panel [SP DIY 05] and the panel can be removed.

That's It ... You Are Done! :goodjob:

Assembly is reverse of removal.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts