NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster :D

This is a long post, so I won't begrudge anyone for just looking at the pictures. :)

I'd like to introduce Bailey "Spacebug" Spitzer:

I was 25 years old, and being a city girl meant I had never had a car or license - I could walk everywhere! Despite a mother who'd been a mechanic and loves cars, I never took an interest and viewed driving as a chore I could escape if I never learned how to do it.

Well, the time had come for me to learn to drive. I had to move myself and three cats from Seattle, Washington to the middle of Tennessee, and once there, I'd be driving everywhere.

I learned quickly that avoiding driving had made me afraid of it, and the path to getting my license was terrifying. I learned to parallel park in my mother's husband's SUV - fun times.

Well, the license had been gotten, and now it was time to buy a car. Which car? "Oh, anything, so long as it's safe and gets good MPG".

As it turns out, that encompasses a lot of cars, and a lot of dealerships steering me from one to another. Making a choice seemed impossible.

I remembered seeing some heavily modded Classic Beetles, and they looked, well, "hardcore" :p Unfortunately, there weren't many for sale in my area, and all of them needed a lot of work. I didn't know anything about cars, and didn't really want to learn, so that was right out. A New Beetle was suggested, but I dismissed it outright - that's a "girly" car! I'm not a girly girl!

The countdown to Tennessee was ticking away faster and faster, and I reluctantly decided on a Civic. Test driving them was boring - just like I had always imagined driving to be like.

The New Beetle suggestion became a running joke.

I started visiting NewBeetle.org... just to look.

One fateful day, as I resigned myself to buying a Civic, the dealership suggested I test drive a New Beetle. It was a Turbo, and thus, out of my price range, but hey, just for fun, right?

:runnethov

EXPECTATIONS GO SPLAT!

I couldn't afford a Turbo, but my dismissal of the Beetle as a "girl car", bought solely for appearance of "cuteness" was long gone. A few test drives later, and I discovered I wasn't alone. Private owners were impossible, pricing their cars way above dealerships. Some haggling later, they revealed they didn't really want to sell their Beetles, and one told me to call them in a few days. I did, and she said she was keeping her bug :D

So one rainy, rainy day, I come across Bailey. She's a 2001, not turbo, Silver instead of my preferred white or black, and she needs a little work. Clearly, this was not going to be my Beetle.

I drove her off the lot that day, and you know what I discovered? Driving in a New Beetle wasn't boring, and it wasn't scary!

Every time I walked into the garage, she looked so excited and happy, as if she was saying "Drive me!". Who could say no to that face? She was light and comfortable and driving was fun!

Bailey fit every single thing I owned into her, no trailer needed, including three cats, and we drove over 50 hours straight into Tennessee.

Almost a year later, I love her even more. She still needs some work: She has a 'bug eye' (ha!) headlight, a gas tank lid that doesn't latch, and her automatic locks have to be locked and unlocked manually. Some unkind person has also stolen all the emblems off her wheels! We'll get it all done as money becomes available. :)

Now if we could just do something about those cupholders.. :soapbox:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Nice!

Very nice looking little Bug! And I love the color!

No problem with your "long" story, it wasn't and we all love a little "history"!

And it is about time you come out of hiding!

Welcome to the Org!

If you've been lurking, you've probably seen my thread, but in the event you've missed it -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Stay around, we'll help you through all your needed repairs and help you find your needed parts.

Cup holders - Adapt girl, like moving from Seattle to BFE Tennessee!

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I LOVELOVELOVE your story! :D

Way back in 2002, I had a brand new $30k Explorer. Three payments later, I had my first New Beetle, and never looked back. I totally undertand you! :lol:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you :) NB.org has been a wonderful resource - I especially like the picture threads and the "Secrets" thread. Opening the windows from the outside with the key made summer a lot more pleasant, and all the modded up Beetles give me all sorts of ideas!

How does one adapt cup-holders? I've seen the folding ones you can buy online, but the reviews all say they break pretty easily. I don't want that to happen with a full drink in my car!

Does adapting to dehydration count? :p

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
OK, bear with me. I put a grab handle cup holder in my car, and I love it! I will look for a pic, and a link. Best ten or twelve buck I ever spent for my car.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Thank you :) NB.org has been a wonderful resource - I especially like the picture threads and the "Secrets" thread. Opening the windows from the outside with the key made summer a lot more pleasant, and all the modded up Beetles give me all sorts of ideas!

How does one adapt cup-holders? I've seen the folding ones you can buy online, but the reviews all say they break pretty easily. I don't want that to happen with a full drink in my car!

Does adapting to dehydration count? :p
Greetings fellow Bugger :D

Took a while to read, but what an interesting story :)

Cup holders :confused: Or cups :) They make many cups in the world, sure you can find one or two to fit :) Or do you mean the ashtrays with the lids on them :confused: Or maybe you wanted one of those extra large coffee cup holders sold on here ;)

Anyway, i digress, Good to have you on Board

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Welcome!

Glad you are here on the org. You can learn a LOT about your "Spacebug" here. Great name by the way.:)
Great people, lots of knowledge and ideas. The "newbie welcome kit" is a wealth of information, and this link
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-experience/8499-secrets-new-beetle-part-deux.html
will tell you all kinds of interesting stuff. I found things in there I never knew and this is the second Beetle I have owned.
Cheers!
Barb

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
How does one adapt cup-holders? Does adapting to dehydration count? :p
Adapt! I meant you! to what you have! (lol) It's not dehydration, it's habit, and this coming from one who always has a cup of coffee on the desk or in their hand!

I've seen the folding ones you can buy online, but the reviews all say they break pretty easily.
Not to worry, it'll fit right in with the quality factory interior plastics! Just won't have that really wonderful rubbery black coating! :D

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Glad you are here on the org. You can learn a LOT about your "Spacebug" here. Great name by the way.:)
Great people, lots of knowledge and ideas. The "newbie welcome kit" is a wealth of information, and this link
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-experience/8499-secrets-new-beetle-part-deux.html
will tell you all kinds of interesting stuff. I found things in there I never knew and this is the second Beetle I have owned.
Cheers!
Barb
Dang! Guess I'm slow. :p. You've already found all this while I was typing :usererr:
oh well, At least you found it...:dance2:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
OK, this is my solution. I no longer have to instintively reach for a cup when I turn a corner. I got it at Linen N Things, but I think they are closed now. It was meant for a child car seat or stroller. It fits perfectly on the handle, and the red knob on the front is the tightener. Good luck! I am more than happy with this!

Attachments

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adapt! I meant you! to what you have! (lol) It's not dehydration, it's habit, and this coming from one who always has a cup of coffee on the desk or in their hand!
After fifty hours straight, I'd say I disagree! :p

I started holding drinks in my lap, but the condensation just.. well, it's not a good place for it! :eek:

Not to worry, it'll fit right in with the quality factory interior plastics! Just won't have that really wonderful rubbery black coating! :D
Hah! The boyfriend and I are slooowly working all the grey rubber off the handles with our fingernails. Better to have the bare plastic than beat up coating!

Greetings fellow Bugger :D

Took a while to read, but what an interesting story :)

Cup holders :confused: Or cups :) They make many cups in the world, sure you can find one or two to fit :)
We've found that the little rubber grips inside and the lack of height availability work great for cans, but I'm disinclined to have open cans of soda in the car. I will admit that there have been no mishaps yet! The main problem we've had is trying to get bottles of water or fast food cups to fit underneath the main console. We currently use the holders for cell phone and mp3 player holders.

Works great, but I'm still thirsty! :biglaugh:

I'd like to hear more about these extra large holders! Bailey and I like roadtrips and we don't like stopping! :jumpy:

Edit: I've just discovered this: http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/46090-fs-custom-cup-holder-98-01-5-nb.html and it's exactly what I need!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

Attachments

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, this is my solution. I no longer have to instintively reach for a cup when I turn a corner. I got it at Linen N Things, but I think they are closed now. It was meant for a child car seat or stroller. It fits perfectly on the handle, and the red knob on the front is the tightener. Good luck! I am more than happy with this!
Oh no no no - the boy needs to hold onto that handle when I drive - the little one up by the roof only fits one hand! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
There is still plenty of grab-handle left. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Nice! Best solution I've seen! Thanks Deb! And deserves re-posting the pic!

I started holding drinks in my lap, but the condensation just.. well, it's not a good place for it! :eek:
Can provide a cooling effect, however!:D
Oh no no no - the boy needs to hold onto that handle when I drive - the little one up by the roof only fits one hand!
:roflmao:

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
Spacebug is such a cute name for a cute silver Beetle! :D Glad to have another Tennessee Beetle here representing. :cool: :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts