VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2000 2.0 and I was just wondering what are the best spark plugs to use, Is there anything better than using ones from VW. Many many thanks Tim

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I use the Autolite Double Platinum. I like them better than the stock 3-gap plugs because the engine has a better torque in the low rpm ranges. It feels like it is less likely to lug.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
what are the best spark plugs to use
The correct OEM plugs. I have trashed a lot of "close enough" or "it doesn't matter what I put into my car" spark plugs because people didn't know any better and then they don't understand why the car just isn't running right anymore.

NGK and Bosch are the OEM suppliers for the spark plugs across the VW and Audi product line. As to which spark plug, it boils down to what engine code you have. Saying you have a 2.0L Beetle doesn't narrow it down... different 2.0L engine codes can use different spark plugs.

Look on the timing belt cover, there should be a sticker that has the 2 digit engine code.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Autolite Platinum

Autolite platinum works good for BabyBlue and I want to keep her happy..LOL :D when I used those fancy NGK she just didn't like those and kept throwing codes during morning cold starts so I went back to AutoliteS. KIS...KEEP IT SIMPLE..:p

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Plugs

Well I have been doing alot of business through RockAuto. I can cut my bills in have especially when you are buying multiple parts. I been running the following with no issues whatsoever!

DENSO Part # 5061 {K20PBRS10} Copper

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
I was running Denso's in my 2.0 and she wasn't nearly as happy as she was with stock plugs. Run the OEM plugs. They are good stuff and will let your car run in tip top shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So this isn't EXACTLY related, but I'll ask it here anyway... I just replaced my plugs the other day and now I have an issue where, when I put the key in the ignition and turn the car on (NOT start it, just turn it on) I lose ALL power. Clock, lights, everything. Obviously this is an electrical issue, because again, I'm not STARTING the car when I do this. I never had this happen until I changed the plugs.

What on earth could I have done to cause this? It's not EVERY time I try to start it. Maybe every third time, and the only way to get it back up and running is to disconnect the battery for a few seconds. Then it come back on. Seriously, what could I have done so wrong???

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put Champion Iridiums 9201 in my daughter's car not long ago and just pulled #2 after it threw misfire CEL.

Plug looks horrible. I need something today, so going to try the Autolite double platinum, since no one has the Bosch locally.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So this isn't EXACTLY related, but I'll ask it here anyway... I just replaced my plugs the other day and now I have an issue where, when I put the key in the ignition and turn the car on (NOT start it, just turn it on) I lose ALL power. Clock, lights, everything. Obviously this is an electrical issue, because again, I'm not STARTING the car when I do this. I never had this happen until I changed the plugs.

What on earth could I have done to cause this? It's not EVERY time I try to start it. Maybe every third time, and the only way to get it back up and running is to disconnect the battery for a few seconds. Then it come back on. Seriously, what could I have done so wrong???
Did you somehow mess with the connection at the battery? Make sure connections are tight and free of corrosion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.