NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 NB Convertible with the BDC 2.0 engine, build date 01/14/03. I am trying to order a set of NGK plugs and wires and I am getting conflicting information from the various parts retailers (and the NGK website) as to which spark plug is required for this particular engine.

Some retailers indicate that the Laser Iridium plug (PZFR5D-11) is required for the 2003- convertibles with the BDC 2.0 engine. Other stores state that the BKUR6ET is the OEM plug for my engine. RockAuto includes a what appears to be a "build date" footnote for the Iridium plug which includes my build date.

One online store indicated that the PZFR5D-11 is the OEM for my Bug and emphasized that the PZFR5D-11 is for "drive-by-wire" cars ONLY and the BKUR6ET for non-drive-by-wire cars ONLY....(I do not even know if my '03 is "drive-by-wire")....

The NGK website's "Spark Plug Selector" indicates that the BKUR6ET plug is the correct one for my car, but mysteriously does not even mention the Iridium plug as an upgrade??

Does anyone know?? Is the Laser Iridium plug required or just a useless upgrade?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
GAP is showing the PZF plugs for the car: GermanAutoParts.com

The BKUR plugs I used on my '99, but that is an AEG motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see that GAP shows the PZF plug...is GAP typically reliable? I have never ordered from them before. The NGK website really confused me when I saw that they show the BKUR6ET plug.

The retailers seem to be confused themselves, or, both plugs work fine and the PZF is simply an "upgrade".

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
I think the BKU plugs are for the AEG engine only. I'd get the PZF plugs. Doing searches on my go-to parts sites show the same thing.

GAP is great. They are my first stop for parts. ECSTuning, 1stvwparts, and autohausaz are also good places for parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts