VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some expert instructions. I have a 2000 1.8 Litre Turbo Beetle. In the last month it has been giving me fits when it starts. It will turn over, but not engage for long. The more I attempt to turn it over the longer it stays on. Eventually it will run. Typically it takes 2 to 5 times to get it to stay running. The problem is getting worse. I bought the car used, and talking with a friend of mine who builds cars he thought it could be the spark plugs since it only does this when the car is cold. After I drive around even for five minutes it starts every time.

This is why I decided to attempt the spark plug replacement. However, I've run into a snafu. I've got the bolts removed which hold down the spark plugs. Where I am having trouble is disengaging the spark plug wires from the back of the casing so that I can lift out the spark plugs. If anyone has suggestions tips and can walk me through it I would be much appreciative. Thanks, Nicole.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
The coilpack should just lift away with a slight pull when the bolts are removed....

Just as likely a cause though is the coolant temp sensor, if the ECU thinks the engine is warm then it won´t put enough fuel in for a cold start hence your trouble. The sensor is cheap to buy and easy to replace. New plugs never hurt though...

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
My 1.8T's coil packs are press fit into the spark plug well. Few things to keep in mind if this if your first plug change on a car, or first time working on a car at all:

The spark plugs are under the coil packs which have the wire harness connected to them. Most connectors you simply squeeze the tab and pull at the same time. They're a somewhat tight fit as they're usually watertight. Be careful because the plastic will most likely be somewhat brittle and you want to keep the locking mechanism in-tact. Try to keep from using screwdrivers and other tools the remove the connectors, try to use your hands by themselves.

Remove the connector and pull the coil pack out of the plug well and set aside. Remove the spark plug. Do not gap your new plugs, you should only use OEM NGK plugs. They're around $10 ea. from advance auto parts. The OEM plug is a PFR6Q, can't recall the 4-digit number for it though.

Apply a small ammount of anti-seize compound to the threads closer to the base of the plug.

Apply some dielectric grease to the top of the plug that makes contact with the coil pack.

Install the plug by hand, be careful not to cross-thread it or you'll have a big problem. Torque the plug to 22 ft/lb. To do it right you really need a torque wrench.

Since this was posted several day's ago I'm guessing I just wasted 5 minutes as you probably already have it done, lol. Oh well, if not, I hope this helps some.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.