VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 2.5L Beetle

Should i get the original oem plugs, or what?
I am usually buying platinum plugs, or what ever the most longest lasting best ones they have at the time might be.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, based upon what I am seeing below: (there is also a diy video as well)

The oem seems to be Bosch or NGK:As always; get parts based on your VIN # and engine code:

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/101-998-601-F/0/22

if you wanted to stick with Bosch, you could look up your car here and find the correct plugs, the aftermarket versions will probably save you money.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/

A search with the above site; come up with these, I would go with platinum: (NOTE: the different plugs, based the engine code)

Spark Plugs
OE Fine Wire Double Platinum Spark Plugs

Engineered for extended performance life and durability.

Engine Designation: BPR

Installation Restrictions: Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset

Part Number: FR7HPP33+
View Product
Super Plus Spark Plugs

Bosch Super Plus, with a heavy-duty yttrium-enhanced copper core center electrode, is a long lasting copper core spark plug.

Engine Designation: BPS

Installation Restrictions: Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset

Part Number: FR7HC+
View Product

The Bentley Manual seems to list NGK:

Spark plugs, replacing (2.5L engine)
Specification
 Spark plugs (2.5L engine)
Original equipment number . . . . . . . . . .101-905-600
Manufacturers number. . . . . . . . . .NGK PZFR 5J-11
Gap . . . . . . . . . .1.00 to 1.10 mm (0.039 to 0.043 in

You can lookup your plugs for your car here:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/index.asp

Laser Platinum PZFR5Q-11 * #
stock #: 6737
gap: .044

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks guys! I had to get my order in early today, so i took a chance and went ahead and ordered some plugs that really sounded good to me at the time and got 35% OFF at AdvanceAutoParts w/ free shipping because i had to order other items for a total of $75.
I will let you know how they work out.
I ordered the E3 Premium DiamondFIRE Electrode Automotive Spark Plug
Part No. E3.48
I got all 5 plugs @ 3.95 each for total of $19.80!

Ok, but if you do know that i should definitely NOT use these, please let me know!
I can return them at a local store.
I am just trying to get better mpg, but do not want to hurt the car. They told me these will be great, but they may be full of bs?

Oh well, guess we'll soon see unless you guys scream,
DON'T DO IT!LOL:D
Thanks again for your help!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I know in my Beetle (it was a 2.0) I ran plugs from Autozone/Advance once. They were Densos. And my Bug was definitely not as happy and my mileage suffered. Switched to the OEM plugs and while they were more money, the car ran much better. I'd stick with OEM. It will allow the car to run at its best.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep i am agreeing with you know after i have had the chance to read more reviews on these E3 plugs!
After all the bad 1 star reviews i just read, there is no way i am putting these hot plugs in the bug!
Some people even said they fried their ignition coils!
Thanks, for helping me come to my senses, and keeping me from falling for the bs!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Taking a vote now! Which plug will it be?

OK, i am worse than most women when it comes to making my mind up about what parts are the best for my cars, so please make my mind up for me! lol:D

NGK (6737) PZFR5Q-11 Laser Platinum

OR

Super Platinum Spark Plugs Set Bosch OEM FR 7H PP222

OR

Genuine Volkswagen Spark Plugs for 2.5L Engine 101-905-601-F

or

Autolite XP5224 Iridium XP Spark Plug

Or

Autolite APP5224 Double Platinum--(i threw these 2 Autolite's in the mix because of the great reviews they got)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I ALMOST SCREWED UP AND INSTALLED THOSE E3'S! I HAVE JUST READ ANOTHER REVIEW WHERE A GUY SWEARS THEY BURNED A FRICKIN HOLE IN HIS ENGINE!

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Did you find the engine code? That will help guide you; on what to get. I would go either Bosch or NGK. The engine code; is either "BPS" or "BPR". You can find the engine code; usually, on a sticker somewhere in the engine compartment (usually had a barcode on it).

BOSCH Part # FR7HC OE/Specialty
Engine Code BPS; Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset

BOSCH Part # FR7HPP33 OE/Specialty
Engine Code BPR; Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset

NGK Part # 6737 {#PZFR5Q11} Laser Platinum
Gap .044; OEM/OES Spark Plug

If your really worried about it; you could just get them at your local VW dealer with your vin number. They will probably be more expensive though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, that is exactly what i am going to do!

Ok, i Just found the "BPR" printed in the trunk under the liner!

Also, i am confused here. On the same label i found the BPR on, it has the vin#, then it says this---N.I.V. NB CABRIO GLS 110/2.5

I am pretty sure it is not a GLS and i have never heard of CABRIO?

Do you know anything about any of that?

Anyway, I can only find the originals on-line for like $40-$50.

How much more do you think they will be at the VW dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just found these locally but i will have to wait until the oe plugs come in.NO ONE has them locally, and the nearest vw dealer is an hour away!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Autolite APP5224 - Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs>>at Adavance auto parts for all 5 plugs = $15.71 after the 30% off promo code!

They say these are for the beetle and got 5 stars!. I have also looked at the NKG LASER PLATINUM PZFR5Q-11 * #, but i will have to wait on them too.

PLUS the nkg and oe plugs, are $13.49 each.

With that said, what could be the difference between the Autolite and the NKG platinums? Would it just be a terrible thing if i went with the Autolites? Or am i just over thinking
this plug thing like i do everything else? lol:dunno:

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Get the OEM plugs. Yes, they are more money but they are best for the car and will allow it to run at its best - giving you the best fuel economy, etc. Some stuff you can cheap out on, but I wouldn't on the plugs.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, oem parts generally guarantee factory performance levels and removes a lot of the guesswork when buying parts, the quality levels being similar to the factory VW parts. You may be fine with the Autolite plugs but i like to replace parts with the same oem brands that came from the VW factory and what they sell at the VW dealer as replacement parts.

If you wanted to go oem NGK with your engine code; according to the NGK website, this is the plug to buy:

Laser Platinum PZFR5Q-11
Laser Series” Platinum center electrode, and Platinum pad ground electrode
Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment Service Part
NGK stock # 6737
spark plug gap .044

I say do it once and do it right; I would get the NGK and be done with it. What if the Autolite's have poor performance or wear out quickly? Then you are doing the work twice and may end up spending more time and money to do the work, all over again. Work smarter; not harder! The choice is up to you!
:cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, oem parts generally guarantee factory performance levels and removes a lot of the guesswork when buying parts, the quality levels being similar to the factory VW parts. You may be fine with the Autolite plugs but i like to replace parts with the same oem brands that came from the VW factory and what they sell at the VW dealer as replacement parts.

If you wanted to go oem NGK with your engine code; according to the NGK website, this is the plug to buy:

Laser Platinum PZFR5Q-11
NGK stock # 6737
spark plug gap .044

I say do it once and do it right; I would get the NGK and be done with it. What if the Autolite's have poor performance or wear out quickly? Then you are doing the work twice and may end up spending more time and money to do the work, all over again. Work smarter; not harder! The choice is up to you!
Got the NGK's on the way!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is some info; about how to decipher the sticker in the trunk:

Options Sticker and Engine Codes | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Here is a VIN decoder; that give you quite a bit of info about your car:

VIN Decoder - Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts
DUDE THANKS AGAIN!
That was some more awesome stuff to read and learn about this car!
Got another question for you.
Is it a bad thing, that my car was made in Mexico, instead of Germany? Like is the value any less, like a Fender guitar that is made in Mexico, instead of in the US? lol:D
I had no idea some were made in Mexico, until probing around some?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
All of the modern New Beetles were and are made in Puebla Mexico(1998'to the current models); different models are made in different factories, all over the world. Originally, in 1998 the New Beetle was designed; to be a car, targeted at the USA market, maybe why they chose Mexico.

If you want to learn more about the origins and designers of this come back model for Volkswagen, check out this book.

Getting the Bugs Out: The Rise, Fall, and Comeback of Volkswagen in America (Adweek Books) by David Kiley (Nov 4, 2002) This, I beleve would be the equivelent of "think small" and if my memory serves, discuses the development of the new beetle and talks about how the release of the new beetle coincided with the comeback of Volkswagen in USA auto market.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Bugs-Out-Comeback-Volkswagen/dp/0471263044

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All of the modern New Beetles were and are made in Puebla Mexico(1998'to the current models); different models are made in different factories, all over the world. Originally, in 1998 the New Beetle was designed; to be a car, targeted at the USA market, maybe why they chose Mexico.

If you want to learn more about the origins and designers of this come back model for Volkswagen, check out this book.

Getting the Bugs Out: The Rise, Fall, and Comeback of Volkswagen in America (Adweek Books) by David Kiley (Nov 4, 2002) This, I beleve would be the equivelent of "think small" and if my memory serves, discuses the development of the new beetle and talks about how the release of the new beetle coincided with the comeback of Volkswagen in USA auto market.

Amazon.com: Getting the Bugs Out: The Rise, Fall, and Comeback of Volkswagen in America (Adweek Books) (0723812263042): David Kiley: Books

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks again!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Laser Platinum PZFR5Q-11
NGK stock # 6737
spark plug gap .044

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I rest assured that each plug has the correct gap, or do I need to set each one?

UPDATE>>>> I went ahead and checked them, and if i am reading this round/slid on/style of gauge, they are all set exactly at .040.
Only thing, I am not really sure of how to read this style of gauge. Do i slide the plug onto the thinnest part, and slide it until it will not go any further, then read the reading at the farthest part of the plug tip,(the highest number) or the reading of the (lowest number) part that the plug tip is touching?
Sorry, hope you can understand what i am trying to ask? Probably not! I'm not sure i even can? lol!

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts