NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I finally got some time to hook in a new dash unit in my 1999 Beetle GLS and ran into two problems that are either me complicating something that isn't really complicated or flat out strange. You guys have way more experience than I do, so I'm betting it's just me over complicating it.

The first issue was my deck itself. The new deck is a JVC that I had in my last car. I simply purchased a new wiring and antenna adapter for the new car. All was well with the installation until I went to push the deck into the dash. There doesn't seem to be enough room for the wiring harness and the deck at all. Have any of you also run into this issue? If you have, how have you gotten around it?

The second issue I ran into was one I wasn't expecting. I've only done a single car audio installation before this, and I'm no audio nut by any means. After hooking up the deck, I've noticed that playing any song in the car that has bass causes a sort of clicking sound. I've tried changing the equalizer settings on the unit itself and on my phone. Still I hear the popping.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
First issue, there is not a lot of room behind the deck inside the dash. You just have to do some fancy maneuvering of wires, orkut a little bit of the plastic out to make room.
Second issue, speakers are shot. They are about 16 years old now, they probably have been bad for a long time.
Try crutchfield.com they have excellent deals. And good sounding speakers! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First issue, there is not a lot of room behind the deck inside the dash. You just have to do some fancy maneuvering of wires, orkut a little bit of the plastic out to make room.
Second issue, speakers are shot. They are about 16 years old now, they probably have been bad for a long time.
Try crutchfield.com they have excellent deals. And good sounding speakers! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks good sir. Guess I know what I'll be spending next Saturday doing. I'm not big on car audio so I was thinking i'd just pick up these on Amazon. [link]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000230LC2/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p422_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0H65EXYMVPC2A6NWCNTV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846[/link]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Please avoid those like the plague, you get what you pay for and Pyle is junk. Better off with picking up a nice set of Kenwoods, Rockford Fosgates, Polks, Alpines, Infintys for a little bit more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here would be some good options for just a bit more

Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5-Inch Full-Range 3-Way Coaxial Speaker - Set of 2 : Vehicle Speakers : Electronics

Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-1664S 6-1/2-Inch 3-Way Sport Series Coaxial Car Speakers: Electronics

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Electronics

The Infinity's might be more then what you would want to spend, idk your price range, but are excellent speakers I ran these in my Studebaker for years off a Clarion head unit tucked in the glovebox and was always happy with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations Honfananatic. I went ahead and put in order in for the Kenwood KFC-1664S's. Had to order two pairs since all four speakers sound absolutely, bloody awful. I'll let you know how the installation goes. I've done deck installs twice, but this is the first speaker installation for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad I could help, if you have any issues let me know. The volkswagen Beetle is by far one of the easiest cars to do your first speaker install. The back panels pop off really easy, it's the entire thing. The front doors come off easy as well. Only thing I forgot to mention is with the front doors you might have clearance issues with the windows if the speakers sit too deep. But I think the Kenwoods are pretty shallow so you should be okay, bit just incase roll your windows down and measure your distance from the window to the mounting surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts