VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 99 NB and am trying to get the stereo in order (all 4 main speakers are blown, and head unit has cracked faceplate and funky volume knob). I've done a fair bit of looking and I guess there's a crossover built into the front somewhere that separates bass into the door speakers and higher frequencies into the tweeters, and the rears are kind of muddy-sounding "filler noise"? I'm wondering what achieves this, because I changed the head unit, and the rear speakers still sound strange. Is there a crossover for the rear speakers as well, or is it just that my factory speakers sound extremely muddy? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the really long explanation.

- Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm also curious about the fronts, because I've replaced the factory speakers but even with the aftermarket head unit, it seems to completely miss certain mid-range frequencies,

-Matt

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
First I was thinking monsoon amp, not sure that any NB without monsoon has tweeters in the front on the dash.

I would probably just replace your speakers, they're pretty old and probably plenty worn out.

Also moved this to the Audio forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for posting in the wrong section. It's not the monsoon, the tweeters are in the A-pillars, sorry for the confusing wording. And I did replace the speakers, but the front ones still seem to be producing mostly bass and barely any midrange at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Well to my knowledge of speaker (which isn't much) the door speakers are just subs so they probably won't do too much more than bass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I know but I replaced them with aftermarket 3-way speakers which should produce much more than bass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts