VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I would really appreciate if you can help me with how to keep the factory radio and just upgrade speakers. new beetle 1.8t 2000 AWV
The main problem I have is wiring and how that connects with the radio, Also do I have to keep current cables for the speakers or I have to change for the new one I got.

I bought this:
front seat
and for the back seat

Currently, I don't have an amplifier and I just want to plug that directly into the factory radio, I know that I'll speakers will not work full power, but for now, will be definitely better than what I had before.

This is the manual on how to connect speaksers,but I'm not sure where I have to plug those two wires on the back side of the radio,or I can keep current wires and just conect new spekers on the old wires.

Thank you so much,
Djordje

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you haven't already gotten one. I recommend that you get the adapter harness that plugs into the factory radio harness. I would also check to see if you are going to need the antenna adapter that plugs into the factory antenna connection and allows you to hook up and aftermarket radio. The harness adapter will have all the wires for the radio so you don't have to cut up your harness. I had a hard time getting mine from my 2015, but I'm sure you won't have too hard of a Time beings that you have a new beetle. There's more stuff available because it's been out for a while whereas my 2015 hasn't. If you replace the speakers in your car you are going to need speaker adapters for your doors. If you don't have an amp right now and your radio has pre-ops in the back. You can just simply ignore them until you get amp. If you're putting an amp on the speakers that are currently in the car, it may not sound very good because those are only like 12- 15 watt speakers. If you are going to add speakers later, they will be six and a half inch for the front and back. When you do put an ounce on the interior speakers you will need to run new wires. You will get your RCA cable from the radio pre-outs and run that pre-owned RCA cable to the amp input. Then from the speaker outputs on the amp you will need to run wires from that back up into the dash and connect those to the factory speaker wire's. That's the easiest way to run the wires from the amp to the speakers inside the car. Instead of having to run a wire to each speaker and having to fight with the door wire harness to try to get the speaker wire through there so it's not just ran through and sticking out the side where you can see it. The factory wiring will be fine unless you're really running some high power to your door speakers and rear speakers. I have a thread of what I've been doing to my car if you would like to check that out. Let me know if you need some other help. I'll put a link in to that thread.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Okay I guess I read wrong first on your post. You are going to use the factory radio and replace the speakers and add an amp?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply @Speedracer46**
I hope you're doing well! I bought harness plugs and I think I did the right way but I wanted to check with you guys.
What is actually my consideration!?
Just checking did I did the right thing. Here is the wiring diagram by colors

Here is the my problem because of wire colors...We can see that in my case black is actually +.

Did I did right thing? is it my wiring correct?
I 3d printed distance rigns by my self and attach speakrs,everything looks fine and sounds ok.I just want to be sure twice.
Thank you so much,
Djordje

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks right. Do you have factory tweeters? I have a plug like that for the stock speakers. The factory is getting the input for the tweeter from that connection. So if you want to run a component speaker. You would need a crossover, which comes with a good set, so you only get those highs there and the mids are coming out the speaker. I have 2way Skar elite 6.5 and in the back I have DS18 6.5 component. Sound deadening. Need more of it. Lol but it looks like you got it right. If/when you replace the HU, I can help you with that. If you are just going to add an amp and keep the factory HU, you can do that too. Here's just some FYI. I love cheap prices, but a $20 cable and a $5 cable. There is a big difference in sound. So just because something is cheaper, doesn't mean that it's just as good as the $20 cable. And be sure that your speakers have a RMS rating that will handle an amp and how big of one you need. You should have 2 RMS ratings on your speakers. One should be 'the normal' RMS and a max RMS. The max is only for the time that it spikes and goes back down.. like a bass note. That's not saying that you can run the max wattage all the time, you'll be replacing them. My Skar speakers are 45-120 RMS/wattage power each. Not the pair. That's another good point. Be sure that you have the correct power rating for just one speaker, not the set/pair. Those speakers sound good with just the Kenwood HU. But I know that they like a little more power than the HU puts out. My 4 channel Amp just went out, so I have them just on the HU. The back seats are too. Now the DS18 component speakers I have are rated at 225-450 RMS each. They need an Amp. They still sound okay, but they sound great on an amp with about 200rms to each speaker. GL and have fun with your bug😉

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just a side note. Slowly turn up your volume and listen to the speakers and the volume level. When you start to hear distortion and the music isn't getting any louder when you keep turning it up. That's the max volume for that radio. For example. My volume goes up to 40. But my max is about 29-30. So if I keep going louder, it's not doing anything but hurting my stuff and sound like crap. So I would find that and build off of that point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts