NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
of course I would have the ONLY one.. lol

Thanks

on to the next thing on my list..
YES, your beetle seems very "Special" ;)
At least you can tell the officer that you were only going 55 and not 70 when he pulls you over :D

How long is this list of yours?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Simple fix. Take the speedo out of the dash. Take the clear screen off of the front. Now plug it back in. Pull the needle off, turn on the ignition and put the needle back on zero. Turn off the ignition , unplug the speedo and reassemble the cluster. Plug it back in, and put the dash back together. I had the same problem and I'm only 1 MPH off according to my GPS.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I will try that, thanks! I was contemplating that from the start.

The list is not long, cosmetic plastics, sun roof, front left strut, passenger door handle. That's it. :fingers crossed: LOL :D
What kind of struts are you thinking of putting in? Mine are pretty old and I want to replace mine. I was thinking about the Monroe Quick Struts I believe the part number for our beetle is 171525 They run about 125 or so each but they do come with springs already assembled. Thought that would save some time. I wouldn't mind putting some coilovers in but I just don't have the money for that right now. Hey, if you are ready to do the strut or struts let me know. I wouldn't mind helping out and learn how to do it on my car. I haven't done much suspension work in the past and am kinda leary giving it a try.

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure on the strut manufacture yet, I guess something firm. Better than stock.

As far as parts go for our NB, what have you found the best source, I have used rockauto[dot]com in the past for other cars, and most times local matches what I find online.
I would be happy to share the experience online, I will take photos the whole time; from doing some research here already I find out the left front "seems" easier.
Looking at the back it looks too simple, although I have been fooled by looks alone. lol

What kind of struts are you thinking of putting in? Mine are pretty old and I want to replace mine. I was thinking about the Monroe Quick Struts I believe the part number for our beetle is 171525 They run about 125 or so each but they do come with springs already assembled. Thought that would save some time. I wouldn't mind putting some coilovers in but I just don't have the money for that right now. Hey, if you are ready to do the strut or struts let me know. I wouldn't mind helping out and learn how to do it on my car. I haven't done much suspension work in the past and am kinda leary giving it a try.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Not sure on the strut manufacture yet, I guess something firm. Better than stock.

As far as parts go for our NB, what have you found the best source, I have used rockauto[dot]com in the past for other cars, and most times local matches what I find online.
I would be happy to share the experience online, I will take photos the whole time; from doing some research here already I find out the left front "seems" easier.
Looking at the back it looks too simple, although I have been fooled by looks alone. lol
Yup the drivers side is easier to do than the passenger side as far as strut replacement is concerned. I think in order to get the strut out on the passenger side you will need to lower the subframe an inch or so.

As far as parts go I have been using various places like ECS tuning, Partsgeek, GermanAutoparts.com and for OEM parts
V.W. AND Audi OEM Parts | Genuine Factory Parts Accessories | Wholesale They seem to have the best prices when it comes to actual VW OEM parts that need replacing. I got an 800 dollar Stainless steel cat back system from them for 103 bucks. That was a special closeout sale by VW and those things went pretty quickly. But I also got some Center caps and some electrical connectors from them since a couple of my Coil connectors were cracked. Overall not a bad place for OEM type parts.

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a DIY on removing the cluster?
Simple fix. Take the speedo out of the dash. Take the clear screen off of the front. Now plug it back in. Pull the needle off, turn on the ignition and put the needle back on zero. Turn off the ignition , unplug the speedo and reassemble the cluster. Plug it back in, and put the dash back together. I had the same problem and I'm only 1 MPH off according to my GPS.

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
I have a question about my instrument panel, the speed needle rest on the fuel gauge, [edit]and of course it rises when moving but is approx 15mph slower than that of actual speed.[edit]

Speed was verified with my GPS unit..
OK, couldn't wait till morning since it was so easy to remove. I did remove fuse but didn't find it necessary to remove harness or completely remove, the small metal clips came right off. Removed the cover pulled the needle right off and put back on as close to zero as I could..

And to make sure at zero I drove down street and then stopped and it went back direct to zero! Thanks so much for steering me in the right direction on this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts