VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I replaced the speed sensor on my wife's beetle and noticed the connector was just two wires with the little crimp things on them. Is this how its supposed to be? It keeps disconnecting so the transmission stays in 3rd all the time. This kills the gas mileage and I'd like to fix it but I'm not sure if that's how its supposed to be or what?
Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
If I understand your post correctly you just have two wires with terminals on the end? or maybe just the inner part of the connector and the outer shell is missing / broken?

If so this is not correct, most VW connectors have a locking tap, there are a couple of different kinds. I also assume that you have an automatic transmission per your post. All of my Beetles are standard shifts, they also have three wires on the speed sensor not two, I dont know if this is different with an auto?

Anyway here is a picture of the connector on one of my manual transmissions.
The locking tap is on the left side of the connector in this picture.

Lock

There should also be shield that goes around the connector and senor to protect if from the elements and heat of the exhaust.

Metal

These connectors are only about $10.00 at you VW Dealer or you can order them online.

There is a decent tutorial on utube by pencilneck about VW connectors here: removing terminals on the VW wiring harness - YouTube please watch this as it will explain how to remove and install the pins.

If you are trying to save the connector you need a special tool to remove the pins - if not and you are careful you can just cut the connector open as long as you don't damage the connectors. You do not need a tool to reassemble them as you just push the terminals in until they click and lock into place.

Hope this helps,
K

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I guess its not the speed sensor then. Its on top of the transmission closer to the bumper then firewall. It has two pins on the sensor. I will take some pictures tomorrow and update this post because I seem to be misinformed.

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright so I finally got time to tear around in the engine again.
First pic is the sensor. It sits right below the airbox.
And the second one is the connector (wires?) I have for that sensor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well this is what I know and think...hope it helps.

First off that is definitely not the correct terminals for that plug, those are standard electrical spade terminals. Looks like someone broke the wires and or connector plug and tried to Jerry-Rig something to work.

What I think we are looking at is the Transmission Speed Sensor which has two wires, one should be Green and the other Red, looks close as one is Green the other looks Brownish/Red.

You need a two pin D-Shell connector to fit the TSS, They come in different sizes the larger one is about 22mm across and the small one is about 19mm. I think you need the smaller one.

The other problem is you need the terminals to do a proper repair job, my suggestion would be to see if you can go to a salvage yard and find a matching connector off of another VW and get the connector and about a foot of wiring with it and then splice it into your current wiring.

If not you can try the dealer, I think they make a terminal repair kit?
Here are some other links for you to look at:

Small Connector:
Home Page > Search > 1j0 973 702 > ES#311333 Electrical Connector Housing - 2 Pin - 1J0973702
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Terminal > ES#467999 Electrical Terminal - Priced Each (Small) - N10335807

Larger Connector
Home Page > Search > 1j0973722 > ES#311345 HOUSING - 1J0973722
Home Page > Search > Terminal > ES#8553 Electrical Terminal - Priced Each (Large) - 9722

Finger Hand Technology Space Nail

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks for the great info! I'll call up VW when they open tomorrow and see if they have any of the repair kits.

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a pig tail connector and spliced it in and everything works now. For some reason, its still throwing the speed sensor code and I don't know why since it all works. But thank you for the info everyone.

Sent from my MB611 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
758 Posts
When you attached the new connector, did you splice, solider, and heat shrink the connection? If not, it may be throwing the code because the connection is a bit intermittent.

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't solder but I did splice and heat shrink. I think my sensor might be messed up. I'll order another one and report back. Well, if I don't sell this thing tomorrow that is.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I never trust a spliced wire in a car if it's not soldered since there is too much vibration in a car. Heat shrinking a spliced connection might help some, but if any moisture gets in the joint, it will quickly go bad.

You might try soldering the connection first before ordering another sensor. I typically use a 100 watt soldering iron with rosin core solder (for electronics) when tackling a job like this.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would think a 60 watt iron would do the trick. Those sensor wires don't look very heavy, but a typical (cheap) 30 watt iron still might have trouble with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
do you have a part # on the sensor? Also, what year bug do you have? Auto tranny?

I have read that the wiring harness itself over time will start to rub in it's wiring cover (plastic like tube) and wear through the wires causing errors on the different sensors.

Greg

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright i'll give it a go with my 60 watt.
And I don't have the part number for the sensor. I put it in a couple months ago. Its a 2000 2.0 auto tranny.

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Soldered the connection and it didn't do anything. Still throwing a code and still stuck in 3rd. Next step is replace the sensor and if that doesn't work, im looking at a new valve body.

Ordered a new sensor yesterday. Should get here in about a week. I'll keep y'all posted. In the mean time, anyone have any ideas as to why my airbag light would be on? I started it without my seatbelt on and the light stayed on so I don't think its anything with the seat harness.

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so I replaced the sensor and reset the tcu using the manual mode (I don't have vag com). Took her out for a spin and still stuck in 3rd. So I was a bit disappointed. When I got home I got the wild idea to take my obd-II scanner and delete the codes stored. Took her out and voila! She shifted all the way through 4th. I was so excited. All the work I've done to this car and its all coming together. It did shift very hard at more then 1/4 throttle and had a whine in 4th when I got her on the highway but I'll add some more fluid or possibly some lucas and see how it goes. Thank you all for the help.
Excited guy right here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.