NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran over something the other day. It hit the underside pretty hard. My speedometer and odometer quit working as a result and my check engine light came on. Had it scanned and 1 code came up. P0501 voltage from vehicle speed sensor is out of range. Purchased and replaced a new speed sensor(that was a chore in its self). Had the code cleared. Speedometer and odometer still dont work and CEL came back on. Is there a step im missing in the replacement of the vss on top of the tranny? Please help. My car wont start as a result of this.

01 1.8t NB stock A/T

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Is the DTC the same as the first time?
I assume that the motor turns over, but will not start. Check the crankshaft position sensor. If the cam position sensor is bad, the motor will start if you crank it long enough. So, we can assume that one is OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the DTC is the same. Will a faulty crankshaft postion sensor affect the speedometer? When i try to start it, if the temp outside is below 60 deg. i can try until the battery goes dead and it wont start. If its warmer than 60 deg it takes about 15 min.

·
Registered
91 Posts
hi. which sensor did you replace? auto right? if so, i think there are three (apparently). i believe that code is for sensor G22 which is near the back of the tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the sensor that is on the tranny that connects to a shaft that slides into the transmission. Are you saying i have more than one speed sensor?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Hummm. Starts above 60, and not below. Is the temp sensor a green one or a black one?
Let's assume that the new vss is good. That leaves us with bad wires. Have you checked the voltages on the connector?
Have you inspected everything under the car? Did you see anything that looks mashed or damaged?

·
Registered
91 Posts
sounds like the one you replaced is the G22 sensor, not sure what else could be wrong. but there are other speed sensors on top of the tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts