VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright..on the 02 there is the wing that comes up at ~45 and drops back down after you do less than 20

its getting rather chilly round these parts and things have frosted over completly several times now..

is there an easy way to turn it off or whats the best way to deal with ice and the wing?

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Hi hi!

Never had any issues here with the speed spoiler and ice. However, I dont live in OH. :\ ... I know there is a way to turn it off ... but, not sure how. :p

·
Debs here!
1,104 Posts
On my 03 there is a button located somewhere under the dash low on the drivers side. At least thats what the manual says. Do a search on the old forum about turning it off. It may be called a stabilizer spoiler. It ices here in NC and I didnt turn my off. I really didnt give it any thought last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2000, but I cannot imagine they moved this switch, so ...

It is on the left hand side of the steering wheel under the dash. It's an odd feeling button/switch. A light should illuminate when the switch is triggered.

The spoiler on the 2000 NB doesn't go up until 95mph, so I do not have to worry about it when conditions are not condusive to high speed. Don't ask me how I know the spoiler actually goes up.;)

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thatismybeetle said:
I have a 2000, but I cannot imagine they moved this switch, so ...

It is on the left hand side of the steering wheel under the dash. It's an odd feeling button/switch. A light should illuminate when the switch is triggered.

The spoiler on the 2000 NB doesn't go up until 95mph, so I do not have to worry about it when conditions are not condusive to high speed. Don't ask me how I know the spoiler actually goes up.;)
on her 02 it goes up at 45...i know about the switch too...is it possible to just when it comes up push the button back so that it retracts?

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
jazzcat said:
on her 02 it goes up at 45...i know about the switch too...is it possible to just when it comes up push the button back so that it retracts?
Nope and that sucks. If it goes up, even if you use the button to make it go up, it stays up until it can cycle through by going under 15mph then back above. If you don't want it to go up I think your best bet is disconnecting it and I'm pretty sure the best way to do that would be inside the hatch right by the motor that operates it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
swap to a rear hatch from a 2.0... that stupid wing is useless anyway, just added weight. There's definitely no reason for it to come up at 45mph, and hell, it doesn't make any noticeable difference in stability at 95 plus either... maybe it does on turns but frankly, anyone dumb enough to be driving like that on US roads, well... :mad: We don't have an autobahn, so that wing is just for cosmetics basically.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scarab_Beetle said:
swap to a rear hatch from a 2.0... that stupid wing is useless anyway, just added weight. There's definitely no reason for it to come up at 45mph, and hell, it doesn't make any noticeable difference in stability at 95 plus either... maybe it does on turns but frankly, anyone dumb enough to be driving like that on US roads, well... :mad: We don't have an autobahn, so that wing is just for cosmetics basically.
she wont swap out either...or that hatch would be on my car in a second:(

wont hurt it if things are frozen though right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.