NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes a newbe, picked up our 2001 new Beetle on Sat. Pics to come soon.

I always check speedometers for accuracy with my Garmin GPS as I drive, and found that this Beetle's speedo showed a consistant 5 mph faster then we were actually going.

Anyone else find this true on their car as well?

Can this be programed out using a Vag-com?

But then again I was thinking of not telling the teenagers so they don't get speeding tickets...:D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Just a hunch...but that might not be an accident. I'd say most people feel safe going 5mph above the posted limit anyway. I know i do. NJ highways (not the parkway or turnpike, etc) are most all of them 50mph, but you're lucky to find someone who drives 50. They probably do it on purpose.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,409 Posts
seems my speedo is as optimistic as yours...my GPS shows i'm 5 mph slower than indicated speed. :)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I've noticed mine are about 3mph fast, or thereabouts.

-Des

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I have had 2 01 GLXs and they were about 3-5 MPH difference from my GPS. I trust my GPS. The only car that actually matched the GPS was my boss' Lexus.

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I trust my GPS also, I always check the speddo with them. I find it strange that everyones is different. some are fast some are slow...

The 1987 Mercedes Benz I just sold was the most accurate I have had.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
This has been discussed before and it has been tested and verified that the speedo is intentionally off by 4mph over the entire Scale.

However the mileage reads accuratly... extremly accuratly. I have personally verified this with a Vag Com and a GPS.

The signal from the Transmission was dead on accurate even at 130mph and the speedo read exactly 4mph fast at that speed. We verified it on several different New Beetles from several different years and several different engines.

It is intentional for the reasons allready stated. It is to keep you from getting tickets. :)

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
SMG said:
That's a PITA, any way to remedy this?
I'm sure there is. It is electronically imposed so there for it is possible to adjust it back out.

"How" is the big question. Is it as simple as changing a line in the programing in the ecu? Is it resister related? When someone figures that out. I will be the first to do the mod to my bug. I hate having an inaccurate speedo but at least these are consistantly inaccurate and not like cable driven ones that start off at 5% off and then get more and more progressively off as the speed climbs. I have seen them off by as much as 25% by the time they reach thier upper limits.

I have in the past cured my speedo inaccuracy by adjusting tire size when possible. In my miata (for example) I was able to cure the 2.5% error by simple switching from the original 185-60 14 to a 195-60 15 tire. This cured most of the problem and left me with a fairly accurate speedo.

My original intentions were to do the same thing on the bug but when I discovered that it was not off by a percentage but by an actual mph it left me stumped. This is the first time I have encountered a speedo being off by an exact mph vs a percentage.
Tom aka Fowvay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts