NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beetlemaniac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, returning member here but had my '98 Beetle for years. My speedo needle fluctuates about 15 or 20mph while driving on the highway at 65. When I put the cruise on the car tries to keep the speed steady, but with the speedo doing that the car bucks really bad. No codes using my Ross Tech Vag Com. Anyone else have this problem, or ever heard of it? My transmission is the 01M, but not exactly sure what one, andthe vehicle speed sensor was replaced by the dealer when I got the car. There is 185,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
If the cruise control is going with the speedo then I wouldn't think the speed sensor is reading correctly for some reason. Right now Iggy's speedo won't read above 75; but the automatic spoiler still pops up when my GPS says I'm going 92 and my cruise control still functions appropriately so I know my speed sensor isn't the problem. I'm sure some experts with way more knowledge will chime in for you soon enough. I'm just an amateur, so I'm not sure what the sensor interacts with that might effect how it reads. All I know for sure is that with a bad speedo and good sensor my cruise control is still smooth and fully functional. Hope it's a simple fix for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Beetlemaniac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iggysmom, thanks for the info. The car runs really good, I would just love to use the cruise control. I drive 55 highway miles to work and the cruise would help. I also get really bad gas mileage, only 18 or so. Per another thread I reset the computer and we'll see what comes of that. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I had the same problem with gas mileage. Found out from jfoj here that if the engine isn't running up to temperature it will effect gas mileage. I hooked up to a reader and was only running at 198• after driving like 400+ miles. He said it was supposed to be like 205-210 I think it was. I changed my thermostat and my mileage is much better. I was getting 17-20mpg. Now I get 22-29mpg. I followed his reccs on using a 12" extension and a wobble socket to get to the bolt behind the alternator (well, he used a wobble extension which I didn't have; but either way). I managed to change the thermostat and housing in about 15 mins without having to go the 4.5hr route that involves removing the alt and some other stuff to get to it. It was a challenge; but well worth the time saved. I also used a long extendable magnet to retrieve the socket a few times because it didn't want to stay on the extension. That time did not include the drain and refill of coolant that goes along with changing the stat of course. I managed to do that by myself despite being pretty much amateur at all this. I haven't worked on a car myself since I was a teen and they had carbs and no computers and all you really needed was a screwdriver for the most part ;). My how things have changed. Of course I enjoy a challenge and I love working on cars. I also enjoyed dropping my German mechanic friend's jaw when I managed to actually do it. Even he was impressed :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hi, returning member here but had my '98 Beetle for years. My speedo needle fluctuates about 15 or 20mph while driving on the highway at 65. When I put the cruise on the car tries to keep the speed steady, but with the speedo doing that the car bucks really bad. No codes using my Ross Tech Vag Com. Anyone else have this problem, or ever heard of it? My transmission is the 01M, but not exactly sure what one, andthe vehicle speed sensor was replaced by the dealer when I got the car. There is 185,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any help.
It sounds like the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission is bad again. If it was replaced with a cheap part that could explain it, or there may be something else that is causing them to fail. Check the wiring to the sensor to make sure it looks undamaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts