NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my fiance's 99 beetle is a 2.0 automatic. While she was going down the highway her speedometer dropped all the way down to were it is hitting the fuel guage and the check engine light came on. Also both her rpm and gas guage are fluctuating.

I have checked all the fuses as well as the connections in the back of the cluster. i know the speedo is getting power to it because it twitches a bit when the car is first started. Does anybody have any ideas on what i should check next or does this sound like i need to replace the cluster?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there away to just replace this "stepper". I am assuming you mean the motor that is connected to the speedo needle

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with a friend car. Just had to replace the speedometer drive gear.It will cause all the symptoms you are having and they are only about 10 to 20 bucks

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
If you end up needing the speedo cluster repaired; check out this guy, he has had good reviews. The repair option; also, has the added benefit in that you do not need to have the new cluster matched to your car... just plug/play when your old one is fixed. You might email him with your symptoms and see what he has to say.

Golf / Jetta / R32 MK4 : Welcome to Pixelfix.info, Canada

Since, the check engine light is on; I would get the car scanned for trouble codes, to get an idea what is going on.

You can look up trouble codes here:

Ross Tech Wiki:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Judging from my past experience this definatly seems like the speedo is broken. The only thing that has me double guessing myself is that the check engine light came on at the same time

·
Registered
14,079 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a friend letting me use his scanner on wednsday. Its just a generic code reader but im hoping it will be able to pull the codes since I dont have access to vag com. will update you on what I find. Thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok here are my codes

P1582- idle adaptation at limit
P0322- VSS(g28) no signal
P0501- VSS range/performane

Being that i have 2 VSS codes i feel that it would be work changing it before i go replacing the cluster. I know there are 3 different ones so but which is g28? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well today i tried replacing the engine speed sensor (G28) with a brand new bosch replacement. BTW a guy on ebay still has a couple more left for only 36 bucks right now if anyone is looking. Anyways my problem still remains. Now i am 100% sure my problem is the speedometer stepper motor. My options are either

1. Buy a used cluster off ebay
2. Buy a new stepper and try replacing it myself

Could someone give me some info on what is involed for both options? I know that my mileage will be off if i buy a used cluster unless i take it to a dealer but other than that will everything work as it should?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
1. you would need to have it "matched"; which would require the use of VCDS or have the dealer do this for you.

2. I have not heard of the stepper motors being available; unless you removed one from a used speedo cluster.

another option:

3. ship it out; to a professional like pixelfix, as noted above. You would not have to match it; as it would be just fixing your original speedo.

Again, I would email Pixelfix; see what he charges for repairs and he could also, tell you from his experience, what the problem is. There are used speedos on ebay; you just need to make sure you get the right one for your car; make sure the part number is correct for you VIN #. I still think; you may come out ahead by having it repaired and no extra costs would be involved by virture of the fact, you would not have to get it coded/matched by the dealer or a shop with VCDS. After it is repaired; you would just install it back in your car and thats it, done (your original mileage would be intact, as well).

VCDS:

Ross-Tech: VCDS

By the way; any more codes, since you replaced the speed/crank sensor?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wa s under the impression that the early model beetles that did not have an immobilizer built into the key also didnt have one in the cluster

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I'm certainly no Volkswagen speedo expert; from what I have heard, they need to be matched to the car using VCDS or Volkswagens official scan tools (whether this is different for early non immo, compared to later models with immo 2, immo 3 etc.; I don't know). Again, I would email pixelfix for more info; he seems to know all about this stuff... since, that is what he does professionally. Email him and let us know; what he has to say, tell him about your situation and see what he recommends for your particular situation, what programming would or would not be involved and the costs for the speedo repair. The other added benefit from having the speedo repaired; is they typically, replace the common parts that are weak from the factory and usually fail. If you get a used one; those same parts, will most likely fail again.

http://www.pixelfix.info/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=sbtp2j3ivo7av2bns9tv6ge1l7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts