NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.0 Auto- 1998
Speedometer seems to become inaccurate after driving for 15 mintues or so. This weekend, my daughter takes me on highway 81 in VA. I tell her to slow down, she says she is only doing 60. We are passing cars, RPMS are at 3800-4000! She drops to 52-55 , still keeping up with traffic, RPMS 3200 Plus. I drive the car home and experience the same thing. I kept it at 52 or so the whole way home, and kept up with traffic.

When you first drive car(first 10-15 minutes) , RPMS are at about 2800 for 55MPH., which seem shi, but I know these transmissions are geared low.

I am bringing to delaership tomorrow , hqave about 2 eeks left on certified bug warranty.

·
Jetta go 'Getta
31 Posts
I had something similar to this happen, and it was the speedometer sensor gear in the transmission. It cost about $900 to get replaced, so get it replaced under warranty if that's what it is.

Cody

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Cody said:
I had something similar to this happen, and it was the speedometer sensor gear in the transmission. It cost about $900 to get replaced, so get it replaced under warranty if that's what it is.

Cody
95% of that is labor of course... sigh :rolleyes:

It could also be a bad speedo cluster which is a bit cheaper but still exspensive.

I wish you good luck and hope they are able to cover it under your warranty. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same with me

I also notice an inaccurate speed on my 99 Beetle. Mine is the other way around. Speedometer tends to go higher than the actual speed. What makes it inaccurate???? Plus, the car stays on third gear longer before shifting to 4th gear. Thus it burns more gas than before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tom20682 said:
2.0 Auto- 1998
Speedometer seems to become inaccurate after driving for 15 mintues or so...
:( I had the excat same experience on my 98 auto NB. Please keep us posted with your result.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caf is in dealer, looks like it may be the speedomter gear in transmission. They eliminated speedomter cluster and the speed sensor in the trnasmission. Determining now whether to try and replace gear or drop a NEW Auto Transmission in. Seems like a pretty extreme solution .... still under warranty though, and dealer says "thats what warranties are for" I'll find out today which direction they suggest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Latest update-VW authorized the delaership to replace the part- they took auto trans apart, replaced speedometer gear, put back together , test drove and loose parts in trannie broke through housing!

Now VW authorizes replacing trans with rebuilt trans... godd thing it is an extra car...

Dealership has been real good about keeping me up to date.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update,
Got car back with new (rebuilt) trans. Zero cost to me. Car runs great. Tested on highway , checking speed at 3900-4000 rpms, 80+MPH.

When we first noticed problem, speedometer read 62-64 at the same rpms. Lucky my daughter did not get a ticket!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts