NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
www.volkyland.com
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I installed a new or used speedometer instrument cluster, would the current mileage change? Is the mileage stored on the ECU or the cluster?

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
When I had mine replaced they had to flash the cluster to get it to read from the ECU - that means a trip to the dealership and $90 fee. Was well worth it because I got my cluster for almost half the price through vw1stparts.com.

·
Registered
67 Posts
volkyland said:
If I installed a new or used speedometer instrument cluster, would the current mileage change? Is the mileage stored on the ECU or the cluster?
I had the same question too. Apparently my cluster took a dump on me a few weeks ago and there wasn't anything displayed on the odometer. Well, since i didn't have time to fix my car I had to take it into the dealership and let them handle it. Well a service techie called me and told me that my old cluster was not displaying the mileage; therefore, he could not flash the current mileage onto my new cluster. So now I basically have an odometer with 0 miles on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How hard it is to remove the cluster? I am replying to this thread since I have not found it posted anywhere.... I have a bulb to replace...

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Just pull the trim around the cluster out, and then there are a few torx screws you need to take out. Just don't have the key in the ignition while you do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Marvin's Dad!

My instrument cluster needs to be changed. Did you buy the part at vw1stparts.com and have an independent mechanic put it or did you ask the VW dealer? Would they do it? How much did it cost you (parts + labor) + $90 to read ECU?

marvins_dad said:
When I had mine replaced they had to flash the cluster to get it to read from the ECU - that means a trip to the dealership and $90 fee. Was well worth it because I got my cluster for almost half the price through vw1stparts.com.

·
Boomin' Granny '08
46 Posts
I just changed out my 98 beetle cluster today. I had about 130K miles on it. My cluster for years now would never display the fuel level correctly and would have random acts of Predatorism readouts on the odometer. Well about 4 months ago the odometer just went blank.
So I went cheap and got a used 98 one off eBay for $9.99 !
Popped the old one out, switched the faceplates as mine was less scratched up, plugged it in, everything works great now, except the mileage reads 97K ;)
Trying to see if I can change it, dealership said no go, only on brand new clusters can they adjust the mileage readout.

Looking for an aftermarket solution!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2000 Beetle. I was told that only the dealership could install the instrument cluster or else it will disable my vehicle if I do it myself? Is this true or are they trying to make some $$$ off me?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are also telling me that I cannot have a used cluster installed is it was already programmed once. Am I being swindled? Any help appreciated here....i'm looking at losing about $900 over this.

·
mOOnrover
116 Posts
I don't know all the answers to all the questions but this is what I did. I pulled my cluster to disable the chime. It was easy, just squeeze the bottom of the outer semi circle trim piece and pull. It pops off then unscrew two torx screws and pull out the cluster. You can then disconnect the two connectors but it the key is on it might trigger the airbag light to stay on until someone resets the code. Here's a link to some pics of the cluster disassembly... 2003 Volkswagen Beetle Mechanical pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just pull the trim around the cluster out, and then there are a few torx screws you need to take out. Just don't have the key in the ignition while you do it.
what happens if you leave the key in?
and would a new cluster fix my gas gauge from freakin out?

·
mOOnrover
116 Posts
what happens if you leave the key in?
and would a new cluster fix my gas gauge from freakin out?
I think if you leave the key in and turned on, when you unplug the connectors the airbag power will be disrupted and trigger an airbag warning light. The light has to be reset by the dealer or someone who has a vagcom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well my clusters dead now. the lights work but nothing else works. speedo, odometer, rpms, and gas guage. do i need a new cluster or is there some super duper hard to get to fuse. ive already replaced all the cluster related fuses and still nothing. and my dad took the cluster out and said it looked fine. im confused and my bugs been nothing but trouble the last few months. everytime somethin gets fixed something else goes wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts