VW Beetle Forum banner

Speedometer Issues

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jensenchase 
#1 ·
My speedometer has been acting strange. When I turn my key to on, the airbag, mil, spoiler, asr(traction control), battery, and abs lights light up. Then the speedometer buzzes and the needles go down about 2mm then go back to normal. Then the brake, temp, oil and seat belt light up and after about 10 seconds the airbag, mil, and battery stay on until I start the car and airbag and mil stay on all the time. The gauges don't move at all but gas light comes on, no codes for the speedometer.

#2 ·
Have you had the car scanned for codes? Have you checked your battery connections/see if the battery/alternator are good?

#3 ·
I have a generic scanner and I have no codes for the speedometer just my o2 sensors and throttle body. Battery is new and I have tested the alternator and its good. The car starts fine all the lights work when the car is running just the gauges don't work when on and the lights when the key is first turned.

#4 ·
What codes are being thrown specifically (code numbers)?

I would definitely check connections and maybe even grounds. Bad connections can cause crazy things to happen like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.