VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, when I started my car(2008 beetle), it was sputtering. My husband looked into it and it was my coil packs. He changed them yesterday and did an oil change. After we let the car run for a good half hour, no problems. Today I started the car and the speedometer is jumping, there is a constant dinging (much more high pitched than the seat belt chime) and while I had him out to show him, I noticed the trip odometer went up from 338.1 to 338.2. This happened while I was parked in the driveway... not moving. We are thinking it is the speed sensor but I want any and all input.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Have you scanned the car for trouble codes? A bad sensor; will typically throw a trouble code. What transmission; does you car have (6 speed tiptronic etc.)? Speedo cluster failures; are becoming more, more common around here but you need to figure out if its the speedo or a sensor, related issue. Scanning and testing with a VW scan tool (like VCDS); would be helpful, to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you scanned the car for trouble codes? A bad sensor; will typically throw a trouble code. What transmission; does you car have (6 speed tiptronic etc.)? Speedo cluster failures; are becoming more, more common around here but you need to figure out if its the speedo or a sensor, related issue. Scanning and testing with a VW scan tool (like VCDS); would be helpful, to diagnose the problem.
I scanned it this morning with our vcds (best present I ever bought the husband). I got codes for airbags (because my passenger side sensor was off) and for ignition control circuit for cylinder 1,2 and 3. "Malfunction-intermittent"(which was because the husband pulled those coil packs). I am thinking the trans speed sensor. I have the 2.5 5 speed trans. And yes, the vcds helped alot, but my car didn't throw any codes besides those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem that I am experiencing is with my speedometer jumping and my odometer rolling while parked. I am well aware why it is throwing P0351-353 and P0411. There are no codes being thrown for anything other than those already solved problems. Those problems have been fixed, and the speed/odometer issues are still occuring.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
We are here to help; we just need to know, the whole history of the car and whatever problem you are experiencing. :) You might; want to start, by trying a output test with VCDS and see if the full sweep of the all the gauges, in the speedo cluster are working normally. Which transmission; does you car have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are here to help; we just need to know, the whole history of the car and whatever problem you are experiencing.
You might; want to start, by trying a output test with VCDS and see if the full sweep of the all the gauges, in the speedo cluster are working normally. Which transmission; does you car have?
I bought the car in feb, the only problem I have had was a dead battery and bald tires from dealer which were solved.
The only problem I am currently having is the speedometer and the odometer rolling. Everything else on my cluster is in working order. I did an auto scan while car was on accessories and one while car was running. Nothing thrown to do with cluster, speed sensor, or anything at all. I went into 03-abs and 17-instruments and checked for faults and there was nothing, then I went through and checked meas. blocks, and nothing was off on any groups in 03 or 17.
I spent a solid 45 minutes looking everywhere for anything only to come up empty.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
A couple of ideas; of testing you could do, would be:

1. with VCDS do a output test; this causes the gauges to "sweep" and that could help confirm the speedometer stepper motor is working as it should. I would look; for a fluid sweep of the beginning to the end of its range, no jerk movement, etc.

select control module: 17 instruments: output tests: the buttons should guide you through activating each part of the speedo cluster (gauges, lights, warning sounds etc).

Video, showing a example of the process: (he is retrofitting the speedo; into a early rabbit, which is not a concern to us but he does go through the output test process):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4SRoVdojU

If you end up figuring out the speedo cluster; is at fault, you can have it repaired. We have had members; have good luck with a company called "BBA REMAN", search on ebay for new beetle speedo cluster repair service for a flat repair fee ($250), including a lifetime warranty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Vol...60.1662j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Others, have replaced the stepper motors themselves but that requires, dismantling the speedo cluster. If that is of interest to you, you can look at this thread:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...tle/77329-2001-beetle-broken-speedometer.html

2. if you have a scan tool with live data capability; you could drive the car and see, if the speed ranges, are consistent and not erratic (like is shown; in the speedo cluster). This data; would be coming from the speed sensor and would bypass the speedo cluster, thus eliminating that as a source of displaying that info.

3. speed sensor:

You could test the speed sensor according to the service manual procedures (wiring, plug, sensor etc.) and see if it needs replaced or other things need repaired (plug, wiring harness, speedo cluster etc.).

With a 5 speed; I am assuming, you have a manual transmission:

speed sensor location:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa..._sensor_(vss)_(manual_transmission_only)_g22/

If this type of work; is beyond your capabilities, I would recommend taking the car to a professional indy shop, that specializes in Volkswagens and see what they can do for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts