VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 New Beetle convertible gl. 2.0 lt. Aftermarket rims that are lighter. They are stock size and regular touring tires. Im using an odin11 adapter to check the speed and if I go under 50 mph, its off by 5. anything over that goes as far as being off by 10 mph.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have a 2005 New Beetle convertible gl. 2.0 lt. Aftermarket rims that are lighter. They are stock size and regular touring tires. Im using an odin11 adapter to check the speed and if I go under 50 mph, its off by 5. anything over that goes as far as being off by 10 mph.
Normal, welcome to the German car experience. BMW, MB, VW/Audi all over report the speed by around 5-10 MPH. It is actually a percentage as I recall.

Get the GPS Speedo App for your phone and figure out a conversion factor or you might be able to adjust the Speedo with VCDS software.

The odometer is dead on, the speedometer reads fast.

Again, normal for many/most German cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When you say "off by #" are you going faster or slower? If the wheels (by the way, not RIMS) are stock size, then the problem is the tires. The wheel-tire combination is such that you are not at OEM overall diameter. It is advisable to maintain the OEM overall diameter when you resize your wheels. Use any of the on-line calculators to check your situation.

What is the wheel size and offset? What is your tire size? If you provide that information I (or anyone else) can quickly tell you if which way you'd be off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Normal, welcome to the German car experience. BMW, MB, VW/Audi all over report the speed by around 5-10 MPH. It is actually a percentage as I recall.

Get the GPS Speedo App for your phone and figure out a conversion factor or you might be able to adjust the Speedo with VCDS software.

The odometer is dead on, the speedometer reads fast.

Again, normal for many/most German cars.
My two Bimmers and all the Benzes I have owned and now own and even my 2003 NBC don't over-record or under-record the speed. Where do you get this information from? Who measured this data and what equipment did they use. Was it properly calibrated? I also own a GPS radar detector which at all times agree with my speed to a good degree of accuracy.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have 2 BMW's, the 2003 NBC a Chevy and GMC truck. The German cars are all 100% stock and they ALL over report, the Chevy and GMC are dead on.

The German cars all over report speed but the mileage is DEAD on. Search, this is VERY common and NORMAL. Even read what the German manufacturers state as acceptable.

I can guarantee that your 2003 NBC is displaying too fast by about 4 miles per hour at 55 unless the tires/wheel are not the stock size which will cause the odometer to then be off or someone has tweaked the settings with VCDS.

I am the original owner of my 2003 NBC and I went round and round with the dealer about this when the car was less then 1 year old.

It is NORMAL for most German cars to over report the speed but the odometer will be dead on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I read the articles and it seems like you may be misinterpreting the data. Car and Driver did some of the better research and the basic conclusion is that:

In the U.S., manufacturers voluntarily follow the standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, J1226, which is pretty lax. To begin with, manufacturers are afforded the latitude to aim for within plus-or-minus two percent of absolute accuracy or to introduce bias to read high on a sliding scale of from minus-one to plus-three percent at low speeds to zero to plus-four percent above 55 mph. And those percentages are not of actual speed but rather a percentage of the total speed range indicated on the dial. So the four-percent allowable range on an 85-mph speedometer is 3.4 mph, and the acceptable range on a 150-mph speedometer is 6.0 mph.
As you can see, the highlighted text does not describe the OP's problem. The Drive Article is also very good research with very interesting published example I quote below.

Car Actual speed at 100km/h
Mazda3 GT 25 98
Toyota Corolla Ascent sedan manual 95
Honda Odyssey VTi-L 96
Subaru WRX (pre production model) 96
BMW 220i Coupe 98
Mercedes-Benz CLA200 98
Kia Soul 96
Hyundai iLoad 95
Nissan Juke 94
Toyota Corolla ZR auto sedan 95
Range Rover Evoque Coupe pure SD4 auto 96
Audi RSQ3 98
Mazda3 SP5 Astina 97
Audi A5 2.0TFSI 100
Volvo XC60 T5 98
Toyota Kluger 94
Volvo S60 Polestar 98
Volkswagen Golf GTI 98
Toyota Kluger 4x4 95
Volvo V40 97
BMW X5 25i sDrive 98
Subaru WRX STI 98
Porsche Cayenne S diesel 97
Toyota Kluger GXL AWD 96
Volvo XC60 D4 96
Volkswagen Golf Wagon 90TSI Comfortline 95
Range Rover Evoque coupe 95
Hyundai Elantra 98
Volkswagen Golf Wagon 110TDI Highline 96
Kia Cerato S 96
Skoda Octavia RS wagon 95
Toyota Corolla sedan 96
Holden Cruze 97
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 95
Nissan X-Trail ST-L 2WD 95
Porsche 911 Turbo 98
Audi TT 2.0TFSI quattro 98
Dodge Journey 98
Subaru BRZ 97
Porsche Panamera Turbo S 98
Jaguar XJR 95
Volkswagen Golf GTI 96
Holden SS Commodore 97
Toyota 86 96
Skoda Octavia RS sedan 95
BMW X1 96
Mini Cooper 96
Alfa Romeo Mito 94
Hyundai Accent 97
Honda City 97
Jeep Wrangler 94
Renault Clio GT 97
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 100
Jeep Cherokee Limited 100
BMW M4 98
Jeep Cherokee Longitude V6 100
Mini Cooper S 98
Mitsubishi mirage sedan 98
Range Rover LWB 5.0 SC 94
Mahindra Genio 99
I even ran my own experiment on my 2013 X5 on a recent trip to Florida. Between regular road speeds up to 90 MPH, my Garmin and radar were consistently shown me 3 mph slower than the speedometer showed.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the OP's speedometer issue is not simply a German Car problem

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The OP has the German car speedometer overstatement issue.

I DOUBT the OP has ACCURATELY verified the speedometer error.

I would bet a 55-60 MPH the speedo is fast by 3-4 MPH and anything over this is may be off my 5-7 MPH and this is what I have seen.

But you OBVIOUSLY seem to want to argue with me on this and that is fine.

Interesting how you stated your cars were all accurate, then on this last post you stated "I even ran my own experiment on my 2013 X5 on a recent trip to Florida. Between regular road speeds up to 90 MPH, my Garmin and radar were consistently shown me 3 mph slower than the speedometer showed."

So it seems now that you looked closer even your 2013 X5 reads fast. It is possible that in the 10 years or more from the time the Beetle was designed that some of the German manufacturers have changed the error to be consistent regardless of speed.

It real simple, if the OP checks the mileage/odometer and it is dead on, then the speedometer error is "NORMAL".

Even VW and BMW have Technical Service Bulletins about Speedometer error and as I recall if the speedometer is within 10% it is considered normal.

If I find a copy of the TSB I will post the info back here.

Could not find the VW Bulletin quickly, but here is a link for the BMW Bulletin which I recall is very close to wording for VW - http://www.xoutpost.com/attachments/x5-e53-forum/5829-doesnt-feel-like-100mph-bmw_speedo.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts