NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!!!!!! Can someone tell me how to adjust the speedometer pin to read correctly. Also can anyone tell me how to adjust my halo projector headlights on my 2000 new beetle glx.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Mine too...lol. I just let it be and pretend that I'm speeding all the time. It makes me feel like I'm getting away with something :cool:

Welcome to the org. It's a really great place to be. The people here are really great too :D

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Mine too...lol. I just let it be and pretend that I'm speeding all the time. It makes me feel like I'm getting away with something :cool:

Welcome to the org. It's a really great place to be. The people here are really great too :D
Ditto. I drive past officers at 65 they dont blink! Not sure what the deal is, but when first got my bug everyone was passing me! I HATE it when people pass me, unless I am speeding myself, then I hope for an officer! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being off by 5 MPH isn't uncommon. Of course, your tire size can also play a role in your reported speed. Unfortunately, using this as an excuse won't get you out of a ticket!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
My speedo is officially messed up. Won't read over 70 and between 60-70 it reads 5-10 mph under.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Did you guys read about what some totalitarian Fascist in Europe is proposing? The idea involves placing sensors on all new cars in the European Union that automatically apply brakes whenever you exceed a posted speed limit. They're Metric over there, but for the sake of simplicity, what this basically means is that if you were on a highway with a speed limit of 65 mph, a sensor would react with a beam on a posted sign, and if you tried to go 66 mph, it would press on the car's brakes. If you were in a hurry due to running late, too bad.....If you were on an open road with nobody else around, again, too bad........

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pushing Fifty:

when my husband had seizures due to 12 brain cancer tumors, I put my hazard lights on and held on my horn about 20 miles over the speed limits, running stop lights and jumping curbs in my old pickup truck to get him to the ER immediately... The police that followed me saw the situation when I slammed brakes, opened my door and jumped into & back out of the truck bed to get to his door and carry him into the ER (one ran ahead to clear the way for me). I offered to pay tickets and go to jail once he was getting emergency medical attention. I said I drove defensively, but I would rather be arrested then to have my husband die while I'm stuck at a traffic light.
"I am guilty and hope I'm never in a situation where I need to take such measures again." Then the rush MRI results came in to say it wasn't a stroke, terminal brain cancer. All I remember was my right leg weakened and I went to one knee. I was listening to the doctor and didn't notice when the officers left...

So, in that country my husband would have died due to a chip in my engine? There are situational ethics, but I would have taken my punishment without delay or complaint because I got 4 more months and counting with him alive, he got to spend time with all of his family and make his peace.

Btw, the truck stalled on way to parking garage and 2 days later, I bought the last car Bob & I test drove and liked: 2003 New Beetle Convertible GLS 6-speed Tiptronic Aquarius Blue. And that dash handle makes it easy for a cancer patient to get in and out during treatments. We go to the beach and on a couple trips to fulfill his wishes. It is a happy car: it looks like a smiling turtle or frog sometimes, with daisies and crayon smells...

A CHIP could have slowed my vehicle and stolen all of this wonderful time with my husband from me... May the creator of that tech's soul burn to black ashes!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I can't even begin to express how Big Brother-like such a proposal would be. Most speed limits, IMO, are too slow as it is, especially on Interstates. These types of roads were built for about 80 mph. I'm older than some, but I remember having to endure a nationwide limit of 55 from the time I got my license up until 1986 when Reagan finally repealed it. Even 65 is too slow. I'm not sure what speed limit equivalents are in Europe, but in Canada, the fastest you can go on their version of Interstates is 100 kph, or 62 mph.

And Jerylsburk, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your husband. Your story is a perfect example of why such a mandate is so wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I remember the torturous 55 everywhere. Still makes me smile to see higher; but wish we could do more in the open areas away from cities and traffic at least. Ours is still 55; but it goes up to 60-65 once you are out of the city at least.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yeah, thanks a lot Jimmy Carter! Although, I must admit you get some killer gas mileage creeping along at 55. There's a stretc here in Texas, between Austin and San Antone, that is 80 miles per hour legal! :eek:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Sweet. I'd love to do 80, legally ;)

Years ago, you could do 80 on the Kansas Turnpike, too. Then they lowered it to 75. And it was Richard Nixon who lowered the national limit to 55 back in 1974, not Jimmy Carter. It was first meant to be temporary until we sorted out stuff with the Arabs, but then Gerald Ford made it permanent in 1975. Ronald Reagan repealed it and gave states the power to set their own speed limits in 1986, and that's when most states went up to 65. 65 -70 is better than 55, but on Interstates, it should still be about 80-90.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Or 100. OK, maybe 99 so we don't have to pay extra for the bigger signs to hold that extra digit. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts