NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

this is my first post here, unfortunately its because my beetle has an issue with its spoiler

currently, the spoiler wont go up automatically whenever i go on the highway (not sure what the exact speed is).

i have no spoiler light on

but if i press the button under the dash, the spoiler will go up with no issues or lights. If i press the other button, the spoiler will go down fine, also, with no lights.

now i I'm driving around with the spoiler up, and come to a stop, the spoiler will go down automatically, and the spoiler light will flash.

Ive checked all fuses and cant figure out why it wont go up on its own :S

any thoughts?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
What year is your car? I know that some of the 1.8Ts had spoilers that go up at 45mph, and others were at 90mph.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
I believe the earlier year cars had the spoiler go up at 90mph, so that is likely why its not going up. I think the change over to 45mph was in the '02 cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, so vw thought ppl would be driving at 144 KM/H a lot?

is there a vag com fix or something else to fix that?

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
2002+ spoilers are set at 48mph to go up. Your 2001 will not go up until 90+.

I suggest a Tailwagger switch. :D Or a spoiler motor from a 2002+ NB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i heard of the tailwagger switch, but couldn't ever find one. would you happen to know where to acquire one?

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
If you are at a stop, and you activate the spoiler using the switch under the dash, when you take off, it will go back down at about 10mph, and yes, the light will flash a few times. That is normal.

And, from what you say, you have a New Beetle Sport Limited Edition! :party:

What color is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its black, with tan leather, and that velvet feeling trim along the window. it also has the monsoon amp hidden in the trunk

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
My wife's 01 1.8T Sport has the spoiler that goes up at 90-ish. However, there is no switch to deploy or retract the spoiler. Technically, I think hers is the 2001.5, as it has the later engine and the swing out cupholders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife's 01 1.8T Sport has the spoiler that goes up at 90-ish. However, there is no switch to deploy or retract the spoiler. Technically, I think hers is the 2001.5, as it has the later engine and the swing out cupholders.
yeah, mine has the swing out cup holders, so i guess its a 2001. then.

the button for the spoiler is a rocker style, it has an indent to retract and a bump to make it go out.

side note...the sunroof closes at 170 kph ish

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
There IS a switch. All 1.8t models have it, especially your year.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Yeah, I've been told that before. No switch in her car. If you want to post a pic of where the switch is, I'll take a pic of where it isn't.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
It is under the dash, under the steering wheel. It's a little rocker switch. From the driver seat, it is accessed with your left hand. I have no idea why your 2001 would not have one? :confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
This is the best I could get in the dark. This is aimed up, to show the underside of where I am talking about. The switch is in front of my fingers.

Try to find yours, or take a pic for yourself. Good luck. :eek:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
But, you moved yours! He is looking for the stock one!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here is ALL the information you need regarding your Spoiler!

It's not simply "it raises at this speed, and it lowers at this speed", the are a number of things that occur at different speeds.

For a very clear, correct, and concise explanation (not mine, but VW's) of the 1.8L Turbo Spoiler thru the Model Year 2001, go to this post. Here you will gain information about the purpose, the operation of the spoiler within the different speed "zones, why it closes automatically, the automatic lower of the power roof if it is raised, the location and purpose of the indicator light on the instrument cluster, and a view of the dash to help you locate the switch for manual operation.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html#post744094

Hope this helps and clears up any questions you might have. As I get a chance, I will update the link with the information for subsequent years, but since this covers the year being inquired about...

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This is the best I could get in the dark. This is aimed up, to show the underside of where I am talking about. The switch is in front of my fingers.

Try to find yours, or take a pic for yourself. Good luck. :eek:
I'm fairly certain the switch was moved to this location on the 2002. Or possibly a running change during 2001, as the 2001 OM indicates it is on the face of the lower dash. A link to that OM page is in the post above. If I'm incorrect, it is only because I am going by printed information for the 2001. Just checked, the 2002 OM shows it likewise on the face, so I'm just not sure about the '01. I also vaguely remember it being on the face of my '00. On the face, or underneath, the drawing in the manual will get anyone close enough to find it.

M.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts