VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 NB Turbo- Spoiler is up all of the time. Just bought the car, PO said that the spoiler needs to "be aligned". She mentioned trying the manual button but it does nothing. I've not tried that button as of today. Any suggestions on this spoiler. It looks cool, just wish it would go up and down. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Start with the basics and check the fuses. There maybe something wrong with the wing linkage (sticking is common) or the motor is bad ( I have heard; of the motor/gears, stripping out.); typically, a problem will throw a trouble code. These codes; can be read with a VW compatible scan tool; like VCDS or other compatible hand held scanners, like the VAG 405/401 sold on amazon.

Check out the service manual; for working on the motor and spoiler: (be sure to advance to the next pages; for complete info)

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2003) > Body and Frame > Spoilers, Flaps, and Air Dams > Active Spoiler Motor > Component Information > Service and Repair

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2003) > Body and Frame > Spoilers, Flaps, and Air Dams > Spoiler > Component Information > Diagrams > Diagram Information and Instructions

·
Jerry
137 Posts
My beetle is really weird. It works just fine at first, but after a while of speeding up slowing down in traffic, it sometimes will just not want to go back down. I've even seen the light come on while driving, already above 45, it deployed just fine, and never ducked below 10 so it's not trying to close, but the light will just pop on(?)
I had it scanned but the light wasn't on while I scanned it, so does that explain why there was nothing about the spoiler on the scanner?
Then, I can park the car, let it sit a while and come back later, and then you can fold it back in.
So why then, would the spoiler get STUCK OPEN but otherwise it seems to work just fine? Also, is it supposed to close incrementally? Allow me to clarify: when shutting while driving, it is very smooth and happens all at once, when shut manually it does it in steps, even seems like it's stiff and rusty.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Sticking rear spoilers is a common issue (it has happened to me a number of times); I would first try and spray the "lube" points, as shown in the service manual. If you continue to have problems; maybe the there is something wrong with the motor, like the gears are damaged or it is starting to fail? Check out the service manual links above; for more info! :) Good luck and let us know; how things go, as you move forward with your repairs and troubleshooting process. Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spoiler open

I took the trim off and removed the motor. When the motor was loose it ran fine (electrically). I think the cables are just gummed up in there. With the motor out I was able to gently bump the spoiler down to the retracted position. Sometime in the future I'll take everything apart, clean, lube and reinstall. Cool little mechanism, but prone to getting bound up it seems. Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem I had to manually crank it down from the motor. But the left part of the spoiler won’t close on its own. Does anybody know where I can purchase a replacement spoiler and spoiler motor.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You might check with your local vw dealer but i think most wing related parts are listed as "nla" (no longer available". If that is the case; used parts from a junk yard, ebay or a "pick/pull" type place, is probably your best bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts